winter lubing and Chain tubes

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
NUKe

winter lubing and Chain tubes

Post by NUKe »

I normally clean and soak the chain in Chainsaw bar oil every 1000 miles or so then cleaning as much of the excess oil off before reinstalling In between a quick squirt of either Gt85 or WD40 (not the blue/yellow can.) Cycle oil spray which according to the tin is GT85 . this regime sort of works, but can be bit messy, that said the current chain tubes seem to be lasting well with it..
Wondering what anybody else does with recumbent with chain tubes for winter use?
NUKe

Re: winter lubing and Chain tubes

Post by pjclinch »

The odd good spray/drip of whatever goop I have about, wipe it to work it in and remove the excess.

In practice a combination of chain tubes and a chain route that catches little road spray off the front wheel keeps the chain going very well (just as well, since I need to buy 3 to replace it!)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Campag

Post by Campag »

Good point Pete - a wrap around mudguard at the front, going further down over the front wheel than on an upright will reduce the gunge being sprayed onto the chain. This might mean putting a rear mudguard on the front, or adding an extension in front of the forks. As well as a full mudguard at the back. Then the usual cleaning and lubing depending one use and weather.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

My mate swears by wax as the best lube for his 6 'bents.

Have a look at this vid: https://youtu.be/HHr9znwpwmQ

Cheers

OB
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

OldBloke wrote:My mate swears by wax as the best lube for his 6 'bents.

Have a look at this vid: https://youtu.be/HHr9znwpwmQ

Cheers

OB

Been down the route make your own wax lube before. I couldn't get a decent consistency, that was dry but pliable enough. either it dried hard making the Chain stiff or it was like a wet lube and attracted the dirt.
I haven't had chance to watch your video yet but I will, OZ cycles did have something that looks quite promising, but haven't got round to trying they had a wax suspension in xylene, but still not convinced a homemade dry wax lube is the way to go in the British winter

Update looks like the series I watched. its promising
NUKe