Traditonal toe clips and recumbents - do they work?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Shreds

Re: Traditonal toe clips and recumbents - do they work?

Post by Shreds »

hercule wrote:Would you recommend one of the Time ATAC pedals for recumbent use? I have Shimano M324s on my Fuego and use the flat side unclipped for slow speed manoeuvres... I’ve never felt that I can rely on the SPD release on tricky situations where I might need to get my feet down in a hurry. On a trike, of course, that doesn’t matter!

I use Time ATAC on my road bike, mountain bike, Brompton and recumbent Trike. As long as you use the standard easy release 10 degree cleats, you will have no problem. (The 13/17 degree advanced cleats which are usually special order, do hold your foot in tighter, but see little point in that for most cases and better not for those who are new to ATACs. I had wondered about it on the Trike being “horizontal”, but no big deal, just as easy.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I continue to use the Restrap pedal straps, though I have switched from work shoes to a pair of 5.11s for cycling. I have had one inadvertent "release" which was in a upward direction so wasn't dangerous. YMMV.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I’ve torn cleats off the bottom of spd shoes.. bashed my Achilles’ tendon on the crossbar...

You can pull up with cleats...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.