Where to start with recumbents?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
nobrakes

Re: Where to start with recumbents?

Postby nobrakes » 11 Mar 2020, 2:03pm

I second the idea of a Nazca Fuego if you can find one used. Excellent all round bike. My first bent and I still ride it all the time. Long review on my site in my sig. Other good all rounders would be the Nazca Gaucho or the Lightning P-38 which are both quite easy to ride as well. The P-38 is a bit lighter. The Gaucho is pretty heavy.

The only other comment I had is that your budget limit might prove to make any decent purchase difficult. It's very hard to find a good used bent for £400. If you upped that to say £1000 your choices would become much greater.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 11 Mar 2020, 3:29pm

Freedom21tim wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for lots of useful advice. I'll try and reply to as best as i can.

No i haven't ridden one yet and unfortunately i live near Southampton so those bike shops mentioned are rather far away and i see bike fix in London have closed the shop to concentrate on maint only.

I Rather like the look of a long wheel base but I'd like to be able to take which ever bike i choose on a train every now and then.

I don't really need a full on trekking setup just a rack and panniers to put a few spare cloths etc for an overnighter.

I'm lucky i live in a cul de sac with a slight slope (and not to many neighbors) for first go.

I rather like the look of USS and thought that could be quite relaxed.

And the Streetmachine does look good although i haven't seen one for sale and imagined it would be over my budget but Tangled Metal I'm not exactly sure how to read your last message but i would very interested if you changed your mind?

Totally agree about resale value they seem to hold their money well.
For the time being i will keep on checking all the usual places.

Kevin at Dtek would be worth a visit it’s a train ride away and he does pre-booked half day taster sessions, they were around £25, there is no sales pressure. And he has a good variety of machines for sale.
http://www.littlethetford.org/?page_id=529
Well worth giving him a ring. He is very knowledgeable and is happy to help decide on the style you need.

My own personal steed is a HPV grasshopper it is fitted with the tweener bars great for the novice. I find very comfortable and have not found a need to change. I bought it second hand from Kevin but that was after nearly Year of being outbid on EBay. It is used all week for commuting, Sunday rides and Audaxes. I only ride an upright for pub visits
NUKe

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Mar 2020, 3:55pm

Autumn last year Bay cycles in morecambe had a really high spec ICE trike for sale at a good price for what it's worth. There's not many recumbent riders round here so could still be there. A lot of extras for anyone not as mobile too.

I only mention it because it's hard to find secondhand trikes I reckon and certainly not one set up with ICE assistance extras. Iirc it's the adventure HD one which is a bit higher up. Steps motor and all the works for 3 grand or so. A 6 grand setup with mileage in the hundreds only due to owner ill health. If it's still for sale it's a bargain I reckon, if you need those extras.

Freedom21tim

Postby Freedom21tim » 12 Mar 2020, 7:38am

nobrakes wrote:I second the idea of a Nazca Fuego if you can find one used. Excellent all round bike. My first bent and I still ride it all the time. Long review on my site in my sig. Other good all rounders would be the Nazca Gaucho or the Lightning P-38 which are both quite easy to ride as well. The P-38 is a bit lighter. The Gaucho is pretty heavy.

The only other comment I had is that your budget limit might prove to make any decent purchase difficult. It's very hard to find a good used bent for £400. If you upped that to say £1000 your choices would become much greater.

Yes I'm thinking that uping the budget may as you say give me some more choice.

I've just had a quick look at your site and the M5 looks stunning, in fact it reminds me of those old paintings of race horses where all 4 legs are apart at full gallop. Now if only i could fit a small rack to one......maybe a bit 'all the gear no idea' for a first bent. :D

There is a P38 on EBay and although i think maybe a good choice for a first Bent I'm not quite getting the look, it doesn't have that row away look as sailors say.

I will be browsing your site this weekend thanks you.
Current collection:-
Ellsworth Truth
Ellsworth Moment
Giant Halfway Rd
Home made Bent

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 12 Mar 2020, 8:56am

Whatever you get, take a look at the aero tech bag photo on the landing page of the site. The top of the seat pad is shown. That mesh seat pad is what I got to replace the foam pad I got the bike with. It's a very good upgrade.

Ime the foam pad gets wet and stays wet for a very long time. During that time you're sitting on a foam supported puddle. Those mesh pads still get wet but dry out quickly. They're also a lot better if it's hot. The air kind of blows through mine if I get up some speed, actually hard on a SMGT unless fully laden on a downhill.

The mesh on mine is made of polypropylene I believe. That's very hydrophobic material. I once saw the comparative figures on wicking between outdoor base layer materials. PP is something like 5 figures times more wicking than merino iirc. Basically nothing comes close to it.

UpWrong

Postby UpWrong » 12 Mar 2020, 8:57am

You need to get something quickly if you are planning on doing the ride at the end of May. And I'm assuming a bike that will fit on a train. I suggest you speak to Kevin at DTek and post a Wanted ad in the forums for a Bacchetta Giro 20. Why? They are a good all purpose bike that have clearances for wider tyres and mudguards, and will take racks.

EDIT: I've sent you a message.

nobrakes

Postby nobrakes » 12 Mar 2020, 10:48am

Freedom21tim wrote:Yes I'm thinking that uping the budget may as you say give me some more choice.

I've just had a quick look at your site and the M5 looks stunning, in fact it reminds me of those old paintings of race horses where all 4 legs are apart at full gallop. Now if only i could fit a small rack to one......maybe a bit 'all the gear no idea' for a first bent. :D

There is a P38 on EBay and although i think maybe a good choice for a first Bent I'm not quite getting the look, it doesn't have that row away look as sailors say.

I will be browsing your site this weekend thanks you.

I would say that the M5 is one of the harder bikes to ride and is not a good choice as a first bent unless you are very determined and prepared to spend some time pulling gravel out of your elbows! It has been done by a few folks but most say it was a hard learning experience. It's a joy to ride once you're used to it but I would seriously think about getting something much more user friendly and cheaper to start with. The Fuego or Gaucho are both good all round bikes, heavy but not too expensive. They are very adjustable so you can play with recline angles. P-38 is also very easy to ride and pretty light as well. Lots of other good suggestions on this thread. The M5 is a singular purpose bike - go as fast as possible. It takes a bit of getting used to. Lots of fun once you get it cracked though!

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 12 Mar 2020, 11:15am

Hmm - one advantage of the M5, from my experience with a raptobike, is that you can put a hand down to test putting your feet up at a standstill... also very little distance to fall.

Took me about an hour to go from the draycote video which is linked somewhere on here, to being ok riding it around a quiet estate... and then a good few hours before I could take it for a 'real' ride - and within 10 I was pretty much always happy.

I came from a 'bent trike though, so was reasonably confident about what I was getting into.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

UpWrong

Postby UpWrong » 12 Mar 2020, 11:29am

An M5 probably has severe interference between feet and front wheel, maybe even cranks and front wheel. I wouldn't even try.

The Giro was a good seller in the UK before trikes dominated the market. There's a good chance of finding someone with one who would respond to a Wanted ad.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 12 Mar 2020, 11:30am

Interference is something watch out for at low speeds. Never an issue on the rapto (but I am reasonably tall, so the boom was somewhat extended)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 12 Mar 2020, 12:48pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Hmm - one advantage of the M5, from my experience with a raptobike, is that you can put a hand down to test putting your feet up at a standstill... also very little distance to fall.
M5 high racer seat height = 44cm, Raptobike seat height = 27cm- need to be fairly ape shaped for putting a hand down to work with an M5 :roll:
"42"

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 12 Mar 2020, 2:08pm

Ah, was just looking at pics... hadn’t parsed that it was *that* high.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Mar 2020, 9:52am

re the kingcycle on ebay; it is a good recumbent to start with in many respects, but I'd echo the comments of others that even this recumbent (which does not have a super-extreme riding position) will take a long time to become acclimatised to.

Practically speaking you can fit a rack at the back and yes the tyre sizes are a bit peculiar. If you want to carry luggage most efficiently (from an aerodynamic perspective, which is arguably the whole point) then a tail box is (was) available.

Some experiences of a recumbent neophyte grappling with a kingcycle here

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100071.0

In the long run you might be better off converting to a different rim size, using different forks etc, and hub brakes rather than rim brakes. On a touring machine a trip can be spoiled if you have a mechanical (eg a bent rim) and the correct parts are not readily available.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Freedom21tim

Postby Freedom21tim » 29 Mar 2020, 9:35am

Hi there, well i gave up trying to find something in my price range and built one instead. First ride yesterday and very pleased with how it worked no crashes as yet. Main shaft of frame is from an old boat spinnaker pole, rear end from an old Marin Mount Vision frame I picked up at the tip, the seat came from the 'spares for sale' forum (thanks Pete) and the rest from the spares box. £25 for the welding, £45 for forks, front wheel and tyre from ebay.

Chain idler needs some improving although works is rather noisy, i think i need more shamfer to allow the varying angles.
Need to raise the stem an inch as knee knock is problem but as the stem was limited by the length of the donor frames
Seat down tube. If the seat post wasn't seized in and they hadn't beat the hell out of it i may have been able to have get the extra 1" or so needed but that will have to wait until the Metal stockist opens again.

So while in lock down more fetaling will be done along including a back brake.
Image Attachments
IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG
Current collection:-
Ellsworth Truth
Ellsworth Moment
Giant Halfway Rd
Home made Bent

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Mar 2020, 10:03am

Looks good. Glad to see my old seat put to use after languishing in the garage for a couple of years. Who says a recumbent has to cost thousands....