Shipping a 'bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
yostumpy

Shipping a 'bent

Post by yostumpy »

In the current climate, how would one go about shipping a 'bent, like a Streetmachine. Do they fit in a std bike box, is there a 'large bike box' , how does it work?
squeaker

Re: Shipping a 'bent

Post by squeaker »

If it helps, this is how my Grasshopper arrived (in 2006!). When I last looked at such shipping, I could not find a commercial carrier (needed due to the size) willing to deal with a private individual - might be different now. Good luck!
Attachments
HopperOut.jpg
HopperBoxInside.jpg
HopperBox.jpg
"42"
hercule

Post by hercule »

Paisley Freight delivered my Fuego from Laid Back Bikes... in an enormous box. It was in fact two bike boxes joined together.

Both my ICE trikes came in remarkably tiny boxes, meticulously packed for optimum use of space. I kept the boxes for a bit until I realised there was no way I was parting with either :D
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

Best thing about ICE Trike shipping boxes is they are smaller than the trike they contain when it is fully assembled and convert into perfect workstands to assemble the trike.
Attachments
B3E56928-82D6-4A7D-A175-26290B238DB7.jpeg
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I could not find a commercial carrier
Wow - how things have changed in 15 years! Courier companies are now the default carrier, for private indiduals, I think. My local Co-Op (complete with its cheerful staff ;-) ) is an agent for two separate couriers, as well as Amazon, turning it into a kind-of modern-day substitute Post Office...
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

ImageIMG_1317 by mark tilley, on Flickr

I eventually, went onto Shiply, and used a Motorcycle transporter chap. Cost me a bit more, £69 I think, but the Streetmachine would have needed 2 boxes, or 1 very large box, anyway Seller wasn't too keen on striping it right down. I had planned on driving to collect originally, but a 500 + mile round trip, to check my eyesight was not really on, and it would have cost me a lot more than £69 in diesel, in my 20 year old LWB Land Rover.
Ultimately it meant that I have had it 6 weeks already, and enjoyed learning on empty roads.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's got wheels, and pedals... ride it ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.