Greenspeed kingpin steering

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Trikesnbikes

Greenspeed kingpin steering

Postby Trikesnbikes » 1 Apr 2020, 4:35pm

Does anyone have any experience of the steering on Greenspeed tadpole layout trikes?

Having obtained a Greenspeed GTV tandem recumbent I found the steering required much more force than my solo ICE recumbent. The ICE uses normal bike style headsets on both swivels while the Greenspeed uses kingpins. Despite being freshly greased and the kingpin bolts not being excessively tight, the "stiction" in the system made longer rides more tiring than should have been the case, particularly compared to the ICE.

In an effort to reduce the steering forces I introduced thrust bearings at the bottom of the kingpins and this seems to have transformed the steering apparently without introducing any disadvantages. I am sure the Greenspeed designers aren't stupid so am I missing something? Will it all go horribly wrong after a few more miles and is there a better way of reducing the steering forces?

pjclinch

Re: Greenspeed kingpin steering

Postby pjclinch » 6 Apr 2020, 8:38am

Trikesnbikes wrote:Does anyone have any experience of the steering on Greenspeed tadpole layout trikes?

I don't, but the people you want to speak to are very probably Rob and Carol Hague at Westcountry Recumbents, http://www.wrhpv.com/, the UK's Greenspeed dealer.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...