carrying a water baldder on a recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
NUKe

carrying a water baldder on a recumbent

Postby NUKe » 9 Jul 2020, 3:59pm

On longer Audax rides I tend to use a water bladder i.e. camel back I have usually either carried this in radical Panniers . Or strapped on top of the Rack pack depending on which I am using I recently purchased a new rack pack after the old one failed. The new one is an Ortlieb with roll top. Are there better ways of storing the water bladder? Anyone got any clever ideas. camelback behind the seat doesn't work, because of the rack pack
NUKe

[XAP]Bob

Re: carrying a water baldder on a recumbent

Postby [XAP]Bob » 9 Jul 2020, 4:01pm

I used to use a side pod (though a hamster bag would do the same), such that the straw exits at the bottom of the bag. That means the bladder is held the "right" way up, though you do need a reasonably long straw, and if you fill it with ice water you need to drink a fair amount to get the benefit.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Tilley

Postby Tilley » 9 Jul 2020, 9:54pm

I have successfully installed a bladder into the back of the mesh seat on my TriceTNT, but it wasn't a straight forward install. I now have two bottle cages fixed to the rear of the seat frame. The bottles are accessible on the move and easy to refill and clean. As these are in addition to the central water bottle mount these are more than adequate for any ride.

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » 10 Jul 2020, 4:59am

The previous owner of my Gekko had sewn up a simple pouch to hold a bladder and attached the pouch to the back of the mesh seat with large safety pins. You could just as easily sewn in velcro tabs or even use cable ties.

OB

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 10 Jul 2020, 11:09am

On the velomobile I use there is a shelf behind the riders head and I just chuck the bladder onto the shelf. I tried velcroe on the tube so I could park the nozzle at a known location on the 'trike'. The nozzle location had varied success - but make sure the tube cannot get caught in any mechanics!

For unfaired recumbents my tip would be to have an aerodynamic rear bag behind the riders head and place the bladder inside that. The OP suggests this is not possible on the arrangement the OP has. Can you not make it so?

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 14 Jul 2020, 11:36am

after bit of experiment last week I have a possible, under seat location on the Grasshopper. But I also realised that I can probably still put in the new rack pack, as I have a 2l bladder and the new rack pack is 12 litres 2 more than my old one. And the topseems to roll quite nicely around the feed tube.
NUKe