Website with trike routes?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Auchmill

Re: Website with trike routes?

Post by Auchmill »

I don't use OSM, I prefer OS or IGN for Spain & France. I use Viewranger on my phone for plotting and recording tracks and prefer to download gpx files from the likes of Wikiloc (which is brilliant for Spain) and then following these when I'm out on the bike or walking. Sometimes Open Cycle Map is quite useful and occasionally shows tracks which are not on the IGN map.

So, what I'd prefer is a resource of gpx files, along with some commentary along the lines of the best examples on Wikiloc.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Auchmill wrote:I don't use OSM, I prefer OS or IGN for Spain & France. I use Viewranger on my phone for plotting and recording tracks and prefer to download gpx files from the likes of Wikiloc (which is brilliant for Spain) and then following these when I'm out on the bike or walking. Sometimes Open Cycle Map is quite useful and occasionally shows tracks which are not on the IGN map.

So, what I'd prefer is a resource of gpx files, along with some commentary along the lines of the best examples on Wikiloc.

Putting the restrictions on OSM would allow easier automated creation of suitable gpx files by sites like cycle.travel that you could then display on whatever map you like.

Understandably, we cannot edit OS or IGN maps and I hope you can understand reluctance to work for Wikiloc Outdoor, S.L. for free.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

mjr wrote:
Auchmill wrote:I don't use OSM, I prefer OS or IGN for Spain & France. I use Viewranger on my phone for plotting and recording tracks and prefer to download gpx files from the likes of Wikiloc (which is brilliant for Spain) and then following these when I'm out on the bike or walking. Sometimes Open Cycle Map is quite useful and occasionally shows tracks which are not on the IGN map.

Putting the restrictions on OSM would allow easier automated creation of suitable gpx files by sites like cycle.travel that you could then display on whatever map you like.

Understandably, we cannot edit OS or IGN maps and I hope you can understand reluctance to work for Wikiloc Outdoor, S.L. for free.

........in the meantime, whilst all those measurements are being noted, and logged to OSM, does anyone else object to having a thread where people can post their recommendations ?
Auchmill

Post by Auchmill »

mjr wrote:I hope you can understand reluctance to work for Wikiloc Outdoor, S.L. for free.

Sorry, you've lost me there. All I know about Wikiloc is that people upload their track logs, some post photos, and add a commentary, mostly in Spanish, and the best include a lot of useful background information as well as notes on the route and you can download the gpx file. The same in Viewranger and other similar sites, which I don't really use.

I think Hoarder's "TfUKR" (careful how you say it) idea would be good resource, to share suitable routes that people have actually ridden.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

OSM tags are not what the O/P is wanting - he is looking for gpx route recommendations. So I will start a separate thread for adding/updating OSM tags to support routing for non-standard HPVs.
mjr

Post by mjr »

atlas_shrugged wrote:OSM tags are not what the O/P is wanting - he is looking for gpx route recommendations. So I will start a separate thread for adding/updating OSM tags to support routing for non-standard HPVs.

Yes, I see, but that only became clear with a later post. The opening post asked for "a website with routes specifically suitable for trikes, particularly offroad, like canals, railway tracks etc where the surface is good and no obstacles like gates" and updating the mapping as suggested by [XAP]Bob would allow a website which could create a near-infinite number of such routes and could also check routes downloaded from a library site for changes recorded since its creator rode it.

I think they're two interconnected ideas but it's fine to move the mapping discussion to viewtopic.php?f=24&t=139288
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Auchmill wrote:
mjr wrote:I hope you can understand reluctance to work for Wikiloc Outdoor, S.L. for free.

Sorry, you've lost me there. All I know about Wikiloc is that people upload their track logs, some post photos, and add a commentary, mostly in Spanish, and the best include a lot of useful background information as well as notes on the route and you can download the gpx file. The same in Viewranger and other similar sites, which I don't really use.

Wikiloc is a commercial site that seems to assert various rights over the stuff uploaded and downloaded from it. Anyone putting stuff on there is basically working for the owning company, Wikiloc Outdoor, S.L. for free.

If one updates openstreetmap (including possibly creating a library of GPX recordings like https://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/tag/VTT but for HPV but I realise that doesn't have commentaries and so on) then it's available for all humanity.
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

Not a website and not quite in Yorkshire as requested by the OP, but Fledborough to Lincoln is along an old railway (NCN Route 64, so is generally flat and doesn't require any motorised assistance), but does get across the Trent comfortably, a quiet ten mile route. Plenty wide enough for Trikes etc, in most places, although in some parts the centre section grass could do with cutting or a bit more wear from a trike perspective, as well as a couple of areas where at this time of the year, the vegetation is gaining on the path, narrowing it down to a metre or two, plus the rather narrow Pyewipe Bridge at Lincoln which is best avoided. (but it can just get a narrow track recumbent trike over). Surface varies from gravel to tarmac, the latter largely at the East end in Lincolnshire.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Try the BRouter web client*:
http://brouter.de/brouter-web/#map=13/5 ... ad-schnell

It uses OpenStreetMap, but does pretty sophisticated navigation using different bike profiles (choose top left). You can customize the profiles (click spanner symbol at the right). I haven't used it for my trike yet, but its very, very good at calculating routes for my velomobile (with the velomobile profile).

*there is a BRouter Android.app available as well. Its a bit complicated to set-up though. Further infos are available in this thread in the German recumbent forum: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... &sandbox=1