Practicalities of living with a trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Practicalities of living with a trike

Post by belgiangoth »

I'm really trike curious, but I do wonder about how easy they are to live with. I already find it very different going for rides with DF riders on my SPM, so I think a trike would be a million times worse. I also don't think I could commute on a trike (as I like to take cut-throughs through train station car parks etc) - though maybe it would be the only option if we ever get proper snow again (no, I did take the bike in every day, just for walkies).
But even if I come to terms with this, I wonder just how hard they are to live with in a terraced house without a garage, front drive or side access. I reckon for intermittent use you could remove rear wheel (& seat were applicable) and drop down the boom to be able to carry it through the house and navigate round corners - but if you do plan to ride it a couple days in a row that's a real faff. I guess it could live in the hallway, but then no one can get past it (could it live on it's side in the hallway, taking up about the same space as a bike?

What do trikers do? (Other than buy a garage? I can't even park it out front with a tarp because that's where the cargo bike lives!)
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Practicalities of living with a trike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Trikes are normally narrow enough to go through a standard door, particularly if turned about 30 degrees.

I wouldn’t want the faff every day though - even with all the options on an ice (QR front wheels, adjustable boom, QR seat and quick fold) I still wouldn’t.

Why does the cargo bike get the whole space to itself? :p
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I'd say too much of a faff if you don't have rear access or a garage, or a secure area at the front. Delta trikes can stand upright on their rear end if that's any good to you? I commute on an AZUB T-Tris 20. It's less stressful than on a bike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Completely forgot about the kett...

Though I imagine a bit all for the OP’s restricted space?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I purchased a longstaff trike conversion from a seller throught this forum. When i went to collect it i was overwhelmed by this keen triker. He had 3 other trikes inside a small 2 bedroom flat on the first floor. How he managed to negotiate them up and down the stairs i dont know. He lived on his own and 2 trikes were stored in one bedroom with the other in his bijou kitchen. BTW my trike is offered for sale on gumtree. https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/long ... 1375912859
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

UpWrong wrote:I'd say too much of a faff if you don't have rear access or a garage, or a secure area at the front.

That sounds right to me.

Has anyone mentioned the problems with unusual HPVs and some barriers that are designed to stop motorbikes, cars etc?

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don’t have an issue with them - but then I don’t take many motorcycle rat runs.
drossall

Post by drossall »

It can be helpful to say what category of trike you are considering. Most responses here have been about recumbent trikes, but at least one is talking about uprights. The storage requirements are likely to differ somewhat.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Jdsk wrote:
UpWrong wrote:I'd say too much of a faff if you don't have rear access or a garage, or a secure area at the front.

That sounds right to me.

Has anyone mentioned the problems with unusual HPVs and some barriers that are designed to stop motorbikes, cars etc?

Jonathan

I've not had any problems with my AZUB trike. I think most shared paths have to be accessible to wheelchair users, and that seems to be enough for the trike.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I keep my bent trike in the back of my car, it's the only reason I bought a small SUV.
The doorway on my cottage is just too narrow to easily manhandle the trike through.
Parking at shops can be a bit tricky due to the size of the trike. It all depends on the area around where the bike parking is.

As for barriers it depends on the type.
A frames:- They tend to be wide enough low down for a bent trike, so as long as I've a straight run through them they're fine.
Chicanes:- Dependent on size but I tend to need to get off to manhandle the trike through.
Gates:- Tend to be a PITA as you need to hold them open while wheeling the trike through.
Horse:- Another PITA as you need to carry the trike over the sleeper.

Luck ............ :D
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Why does the cargo bike get the whole space to itself? :p

Front garden space has the cargo bike and wheelie bins, which is pretty much all the space taken up (no space for a secured bike storage box). I could possibly just about find space for a trike but it would mean:
* leaving it under a tarp
* moving it fortnightly for bin day
* trusting a very good lock as it wouldn't be insured (locked in your front garden is excluded from our home insurance policy. We run on the basis that the Cargo trike is too much faff to steal ... and it has three locks on it).

I was thinking recumbent tadpole trike, something like an ICE, Catrike or Windcheetah.

While not what I had hoped to hear the feedback is very useful - it gives me a good sense of just how costly it would be to try it out. A different recumbent bike would be immensely more sensible (but trikes are just fun).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could you let a rope down from the bedroom window and haul the trike up?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tigerbiten wrote:As for barriers it depends on the type.
A frames:- They tend to be wide enough low down for a bent trike, so as long as I've a straight run through them they're fine.
Chicanes:- Dependent on size but I tend to need to get off to manhandle the trike through.
Gates:- Tend to be a PITA as you need to hold them open while wheeling the trike through.
Horse:- Another PITA as you need to carry the trike over the sleeper.

Mmmmm... details.

Thanks

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

belgiangoth wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Why does the cargo bike get the whole space to itself? :p

Front garden space has the cargo bike and wheelie bins, which is pretty much all the space taken up (no space for a secured bike storage box). I could possibly just about find space for a trike but it would mean:
* leaving it under a tarp
* moving it fortnightly for bin day
* trusting a very good lock as it wouldn't be insured (locked in your front garden is excluded from our home insurance policy. We run on the basis that the Cargo trike is too much faff to steal ... and it has three locks on it).

I was thinking recumbent tadpole trike, something like an ICE, Catrike or Windcheetah.

While not what I had hoped to hear the feedback is very useful - it gives me a good sense of just how costly it would be to try it out. A different recumbent bike would be immensely more sensible (but trikes are just fun).

Just leave the wheelie bins on the road... take a parking space with them :P :twisted:
drossall

Post by drossall »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Could you let a rope down from the bedroom window and haul the trike up?

With lockdown (non-)haircuts, I've got visions of Rapunzel here :D