Practicalities of living with a trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Manc33

Re: Practicalities of living with a trike

Post by Manc33 »

I wouldn't mind a trike if it was quite narrow, like with wheels about 1 foot apart at the back. Then you could stop without putting your feet down and you could use really low gearing on hills, yet it would be able to easily fit through doorways.
Last edited by Manc33 on 19 Aug 2020, 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

12” wheels would be quite a harsh ride, that’s smaller than a Brompton.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:12” wheels would be quite a harsh ride, that’s smaller than a Brompton.

Bob were you replying to me? I meant the distance between the rear wheels, sorry if it came across badly.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

12” track width would be inherently unstable unless it was a tilting trike...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

This will fit through doorways, http://greenspeed-trikes.com/anura.html
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So will an ICE - lift the rear wheel, apply full steering lock one way, push the rear the other, and “crab” through with the wheels moving forward but at full lock.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote:So will an ICE - lift the rear wheel, apply full steering lock one way, push the rear the other, and “crab” through with the wheels moving forward but at full lock.

Depends on the width of the door I guess. There's 3 to 4" difference in width between the Anura and an ICE.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:So will an ICE - lift the rear wheel, apply full steering lock one way, push the rear the other, and “crab” through with the wheels moving forward but at full lock.

Depends on the width of the door I guess. There's 3 to 4" difference in width between the Anura and an ICE.

Doesn't it always... The reason I can't do that through my front door is that the stairs are in the way...
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Have just got a Catrike via BHPC sales. I was surprised at how easy it was to carry through the house - I did need to hold it vertical and twist through doorways (it's wider at the front wheels than a doorway and rear wheel is 700C so also wider) but it's easier than the SPM because it is lighter and can be lifted significantly above the horizontal.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

My Ice Adventure HD will not go through my doorway or into my polytunnel. I take the seat off and move steering arms back which means I can turn it in it's side and carry in sideways standing in the space where the seat would be.