Adult scooter/kick bike thread

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mac

Re: Adult scooter/kick bike thread

Post by mac »

I've got a Swifty, so far I've not hit the rear at all, & I've used mine off road too, so I'm guessing it's down to how you are kicking, maybe you're not lifting your foot soon enough/trying to push for too long.

I'm an ex cyclist, so I don't do the "pro" way of kicking, where you see them lift their leg up to the bars, & then kick through to a straight leg out behind.

I tend to put my foot down by the rear of the front wheel, & lift it back up as it passes the rear of the foot platform, maybe that will help you to avoid hitting the rear end with your ankle.
Now into 'Boots & Scoots'.
Purpan

Post by Purpan »

Cheers, Mac, maybe that’ll help. In terms of kicking, I vary between the swung leg and the knee raise/drive down. And now the « hobble home » technique. :D Good luck with avoiding injuries, anyway. I do think it’s a bit odd that Swifty sell a solution to the ankle issue, though. Probably a less aggressive ankle nut, or a rounded quick release, would do the trick.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How does one ensure that the 'resting' foot stays on the platform?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Purpan

Post by Purpan »

The resting foot is pretty well secured from an anti-abrasive covering on the deck, and your weight on top of it. It works well ; you can swivel your foot easily enough to do a foot change but it never feels insecure.
mac

Post by mac »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How does one ensure that the 'resting' foot stays on the platform?

There isn't a resting foot, unless you are putting your second foot onto the platform alongside your standing leg foot..... :lol:

Your weight is all on the standing leg foot on the platform, that's enough to keep it in place. :)

(It may be a bit slippery if wet, but I think most have a rough surface to help in such a situation.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One earnestly hopes kickbikes displace €bikes :wink:
mac

Post by mac »

For some, an e-bike lets them continue cycling, (so I personally am OK with them), I just don't want one until they can handle big long steep hills without running out of power, leaving you to cycle a 'tank' all the way back home, (could do with improving the mileage too). :lol:

But, I would really like to see more 'big scooters' out in the wild though.... :mrgreen:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not to mention Elliptigoes :wink:
mac

Post by mac »

That's complicating things, isn't it..... :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could be simpler, what if Elliptigoes had been invented before safety cycles? :wink:
mac

Post by mac »

One of the old bicycle designs did use that kind of set up to drive the rear wheel, but rotating cranks & chain drive won the day.... :mrgreen:
Purpan

Post by Purpan »

Ankle still a bit sore but back on the Swifty Zero in the past couple of days. It really is very capable. It seems to handle rough ground, ruts and gravel very well in addition to road. Of course, I’m considering a full size footbike now as well (N+1 is unavoidable) but the Swifty does do most things well.
F90E33E8-F5F3-4B2C-BBDA-0DFA215375BB.jpeg
mac

Post by mac »

Good to know you're back in action.... :)

My Swifty will be used mainly on the smooth urban stuff around town where there may be other people, as I think it is less intimidating to pedestrians - the Kickbike should handle everything else. 8)

P.S. Regarding the rear nuts, you may be able to get domed nuts from a bike shop, (if they still cause you trouble).
Purpan

Post by Purpan »

In fact I bought the axlenut covers, so all should be well.

I used the swifty for my commute yesterday. It was about half an hour each way. I usually use a bike, so it was obviously slower. Much more convenient to just hop off at any obstacle, though. I used the front rack to carry my gear - a reasonable weight. The only downside was the increased effort combined with 28 degree temperature made it a bit sweaty.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Just to keep the thread going, here’s something I knocked together in the shed...

[emoji16]