Suitable camera for a recumbent.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
NUKe

Suitable camera for a recumbent.

Post by NUKe »

Any recommendations for a camera for recording incidents and how to mount on a recumbent, as I really don’t want to wear one strapped to my head?

This is due to a car causing an accident, blaming me on a local social media site and then whipping up a hate campaign on a local Facebook page. Whilst the police agreed I was in the right and I eventually got the Facebook page took down. But there were several comments suggesting I should be knocked down. The police believe I should carry a camera in case of reprisals
NUKe

Re: Suitable camera for a recumbent.

Post by thirdcrank »

Above all I hope you are OK. This is terrible on all sorts of levels. I can't offer anything in response to your question but you have my best wishes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

You're not the guy down south riding a yellow velomobile by any chance? There was a Facebook page set up by someone who was "slowed down" by it when driving his car. It was about knocking down the guy in the velomobile. People posted where they had seen it so people could harass him I guess or worse! Apparently FB allows things like that so long b as their advertisers aren't fussed and even then they play lip service to public indignation.

I got a few of those brackets by Topeak and minoura. Attached to the front derailleur stub it could take a camera bracket. I never got to mount them and don't ride it much now. One to the front there and perhaps bolt something to your seat if it can take it. ICE do brackets for their trikes perhaps they could be bodged to fit somehow?

What recumbent do you have and does it have a rear rack?
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Have a look at Cycliq https://cycliq.com/; expensive, incorporates cameras and lights, but one of the best.

OB
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I'm using SJ4000 front and rear, but make sure they are the genuine ones as there ate copy's out there and also use a powerpack to run them both
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been thinking about this and if you were threatened or assaulted, the view of the road might not be what you wanted. I understand your reluctance to fit anything to your head but the best evidence would be the mugshot of your assailant and any accompanying speech.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Are cycliq camera mounts able to be easily turned and tilted?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I carry a car DVR... both cameras are “remote” so I mounted them on the stub of a flagpole, the DVR but was in a side pod and was powered from an external battery.

There is a bit of a sideways blind spot though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some years ago, following recommendations on here, I bought a Dogcam Sport Bullet camera. IMO, it's just the sort of thing for this situation, but the vendor went out of business not long afterwards.

If I describe it, somebody may know of something similar that's currently available. There's one on ebay but it's a later model than mine so I can't comment on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dogcam-Bulle ... SwLh9fFxmo

The features of one like mine which I think make it ideal here are that the camera is a small cylinder about 8cms x 2 cms, which can be mounted on a headband. It's connected by cable to a small(ish) recorder 9cms x 6 cms x 2 cms which can go in a pocket. Although recording technology has moved on, the picture quality is really good and the lens is not so wide-angle as most dashcams. It also records sound and can print the time on the footage.

Downsides are that the battery-life is only something like a couple of hours, and for traffic incidents, it has no GPS to record speed.

IMO, the advantages for a rider at risk of personal violence are that it's going to record the assailant and if they decide to snatch the camera, the recording will be in the rider's pocket.

Incidentally, having played about with mine when it was new, the novelty wore off. For years, it's been on the rear parcel-shelf of my car, recording tailgaters. Fingers crossed, I've not needed the footage. BTW, it has an adaptor which allows it to run on a car power socket.

Googling brings up all sorts of other "bullet" cameras but I've not found anything similar to what I'm recommending.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Firstly thanks all, food for thought
Yes it does have Rack and it’s HP velotechnik

TC they can’t take the copper out you, the police officer said the same thing and I think you’re probably right. the Dog cam would be a good one, or something similarIf it were small enough to attach to headband I might consider.

Tangled metal yes I am-in east Anglia and guessing I know the velomobile pilot in question. Andy gets a lot of abuse for nothing.
NUKe

Post by Tangled Metal »

IIRC yellow and there was a community group on FB claiming to be out to get him. Now where to put a couple of cameras on a velomobile?? That's a difficult question
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tangled Metal wrote:Now where to put a couple of cameras on a velomobile?? That's a difficult question
Not: the 'hump' behind the riders head gives a good allround view (not mine, I hasten to add). Alternatively a front one on a mirror stalk, with just the rear on the hump. YMMV, of course.
"42"
johnriley

Post by johnriley »

Re the Cycliq cameras: Fly 12 mounts to handlebars, so if you have them, mounting on a recumbent is straightforward. The mounts are notoriously fragile, so I always grip the mount firmly when I rotate the camera off. On some bikes I use a GoPro mount. With this approach, I can move the camera from bike to bike without having to engage/disengage the mount on the body of the camera.

The Fly 6 on the rear is trickier. It is designed to mount on a seat post, so on some bikes, I impersonate a seat post with some expensive T-Cycle hardware. There is also a rack mount, and I use that too. It requires a plate with holes in the right place, and tire clearance. I used a reflector bracket when there wasn't tire clearance.

The mounts allow 90 degree rotation>

Apparently there is (was?) a similar camera available at Aldi, but I don't think it had the auto-file save in case of an incident.

There are enough complaints about the Cycliq cameras on the Facebook page such that I am not _recommending_ them, but I seem to have made my peace.

Consider also if a body cam might work. Some of them have really long battery life. File storage is an issue with some.

https://flic.kr/p/2jGxEX6

https://flic.kr/p/2jGtmXT

GoPro mount with Fly 6:

https://flic.kr/p/2gcy1ZN

Impersonating a seat post:

https://flic.kr/p/2j7VZz2
johnriley

Post by johnriley »

Forgot to mention re the Fly 6: These are notorious for water intrusion for those that ride in the rain. Mounted on the seat post of a conventional bike, and lacking mudguards, the camera would be in a constant stream of water.

There is a new version that is out, or will be shortly. I expect the vulnerable port has been moved. This version will be smaller, but will also have a shorter run time.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I bought an Apeman 77. It’s AP67 re waterproofing. Plenty of accessories and wasn’t expensive ~40 pounds from Amazon.was reviewed as a good commuting camera. I will report back once used.
NUKe