Exploding tyres...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Exploding tyres...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

At 23ish mph on an upwrong would be a little disconcerting. It wasn’t until after I looked round (a moment later) that I felt the back end go all squirrely and stopped...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hercule

Re: Exploding tyres...

Post by hercule »

I’ve had a front tyre blow out at 40mph on my Trice. No drama, no fuss.. I was able to slow down and pull in at the side of the road safely. I was a bit worried at what the rim might look like but it was OK. I managed to continue after a tube change and using a Snickers bar wrapper as a tyre boot!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Because Marathons weren't available?

: - )

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've had a front blowout at 30+ as well, but it was a hell of a bang, I don't remember the front being so loud...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Jdsk wrote:Because Marathons weren't available?

: - )

Jonathan

:lol:
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Bike tyres explode also?

I've seen enough spent (usually with skid marks on the road) when I'm forced to travel on a motorway. Thought the pressures, speed, and tolerance of the rubber ment we didn't have to worry about it.....?

Happen often?
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I realise I've been a bit silly there regarding pressure.

I put less in the wife's car and a rear (large) JCB used to take only about 14 PSI.

Still, I thought bike tyres were almost immune to blow outs.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Trikeyohreilly wrote:I realise I've been a bit silly there regarding pressure.

I put less in the wife's car and a rear (large) JCB used to take only about 14 PSI.

Still, I thought bike tyres were almost immune to blow outs.

Doesn't help that a cable was rubbing the sidewall - which eventually failed, leading to the inner blowing through.

They're really not immune to blowouts though - tandems have hub drag brakes for very good reasons.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Turbo only with non suitable road tyres twice :mrgreen:
No other at all.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Front wheel I must have hit something, I was going pretty fast downhill, start of an audax...
Complete loss of pressure, but the rotational speed kept the tyre in some shape. Stopped safely with the other front wheel and changed it out.

Rear wheel was side abrasion :(