Will a Rohloff tensioner cope with double ring

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Just_me

Will a Rohloff tensioner cope with double ring

Post by Just_me »

Hi,
Ordered a rohloff conversion for my ICE trike 20”. The range doesn’t quite give me what I want on a single ring. Will the rohloff tensioner cope with a double up front 10t difference? Tia
[XAP]Bob

Re: Will a Rohloff tensioner cope with double ring

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Check out what tiger bitten has to say on the subject - he runs a double sprocket, double chainring on a rolhoff I think
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Just_me

Post by Just_me »

Thank you. I’ve searched tiger bitten but only 11 results come up and non are rohloff related. I’ve searched rohloff double chain ring as well. Thanks.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

One word - stupid phone.

Search tiger as a username, then search the results
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

crossy

Post by crossy »

I changed to a Rohloff hub from a derailleur system and kept the old rear mech with no problem using a triple chain set using the big ring and the middle ring. I used the small chainring to take the pressure of the chain when I folded it. I have a 26” rear wheel.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Pictures from Rohloff's comprehensive handbook (2008 edition) on the subject.
P1140324.JPG

P1140327.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

When it says 10 links, it means 10 full links.
So it will cope with a 20 tooth difference between rings.
I'm fine running a 38/55 double.

I think the best way to set multiple chainring up is to use multiples of 1.136 as ring spacing.
That sets a front change as almost exact rohloff gear spacing.
So 1.29 for a two gear step and 1.466 for three.
If you want to setup a triple for 4 extra gears then a road triple 30/39/50 is very close to ideal and matches up well with a 15 or 16 sprocket to keep it within the recommended torque range.

Luck .......... :D
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Yes. See my Sprint with 50/34. I have a 19 tooth Rohloff with standard tensioner at the rear.

I know it’s got a motor; the 34 is there just in case I run out of battery. I fitted it after a ride where I ran out at the bottom of a number of steep hills in the local Peak District. It’s what I had on the trike before I had the motor installed. 34/19 in first gear enables me to climb just about anything albeit very slowly.

IMG_1783.JPG