I may have to become Non Standard.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
StuR

I may have to become Non Standard.

Post by StuR »

I have been suffering from Sciatica for nearly 2 years caused by disk herniations. Although I am able to use a standard bikes and get a lot of miles done with less pain than sitting in a chair, I am concerned that this might not be helping recovery.

So I have spent a long time looking online at recumbents of different types for the physical benefits and also interested perhaps adding something new to my cycling. I have not tried any out though.

I know everyone is different, but has anyone else also done similar and seen physical improvements?
Stradageek

Re: I may have to become Non Standard.

Post by Stradageek »

We are all very different but I have a long term lower back problem which flares up regularly. When it does I can cure it completely by taking a half hour ride on my HP Velotechnik Speed machine (full suspension, hardshell seat with excellent lumbar support).

I guess a well engineered massage, yoga or physio might work as well (though all the ones I've tried haven't) but the bike ride is much more fun :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I imagine you will be very “seat sensitive”

Where are you based?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
StuR

Post by StuR »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I imagine you will be very “seat sensitive”

Yes, very...I spend as much time standing or walking.

Then when I am not stood up, I do a lot of yoga exercises but whilst it helps its not making it go away.

I am based in Worcestershire.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You have a private message - I'm not super local, but I'm not a million miles away either.

The real "try all the seats" option is in Cambridgeshire though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bilbosmeggins

Post by Bilbosmeggins »

Hi Stuart. I shall have a Nazca Fuego in my possession next week. I am also based in Worcestershire, Kidderminster to be precise. If you would like to try it out for comfort you would be more than welcome. At least it would give you an idea for that type of geometry to help narrow your search. So many weird and wonderful configurations in recumbents.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

How are you lying/sitting propped up in bed while reading a book ??
This position is probably very close to being recumbent on a bike.
If you cannot do it for any length of time without it causing you back to stiffen up then a bent probably won't help.

A basic rule of thumb is the lower and/or more reclined the seat is then the harder the recumbent bike probably is to balance.
Trikes are the other way around, the lower you are then the more stable you are in silly high speed corners.

The person to talk to about all thing recumbent is Kevin at D-Tek, Little Thetford near Ely.
He did run trial sessions before covid 19 on various recumbent bikes.
You started on a bike with a fairly high/upright seat and got lower and more reclined as the session went on.
This gave you a better idea on what type suits you.

Luck ........... :D
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Tigerbiten wrote:How are you lying/sitting propped up in bed while reading a book ??
This position is probably very close to being recumbent on a bike.
If you cannot do it for any length of time without it causing you back to stiffen up then a bent probably won't help.

Not necessarily, when my back is bad there is no sitting or lying position that doesn't cause me pain and walking doesn't help - but riding my bike works like magic. I think it's the combination of good lumbar support, suspension (so no sharp shocks) and the massage effect of the cycling.

It's got to be worth trying, back pain is evil
StuR

Post by StuR »

Thanks all for your contributions. I have bitten the bullet and acquired a Performer trike with hardshell seat that so far seems to support a back bend and also does not fire up my nerve through my glutes. For now it is on my turbo trainer and I have put a few hours in already adjusting boom length and chain. I am hopeful using this setup through the winter will at least not make it worse.

@Bilbosmeggins. I hope you get on well with your new bike. Keep us updated how you get on. I might also try a 2 wheel option in the future.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me, all the best and keep us updated - Stradageek