ICE quest adventure front axle/hub advice

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Gilespulman

ICE quest adventure front axle/hub advice

Post by Gilespulman »

Hi all, I have recently purchased a frame only recumbent trike from ICE its badged as quest adventure, vintage unknown. I'm looking for help regarding the front axle/hub mounting, does anyone know what I need in order to fit 20 inch wheels? . The steering mechanism is all there right up to the drop heads but just a hole with a grub screw threaded in at one end where the axle would be. Any help gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Giles
[XAP]Bob

Re: ICE quest adventure front axle/hub advice

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A picture is worth a thousand words
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The front wheels use removable axle bolts.
The front hubs use 2 sealed cartridge bearings with a support tube between them.
The support tube stops the inner races from being crushed inwards once everything is tight.
The axle bolt is then pushed through the bearings from the outside, through the hole in the bottom of the kingpin and is then held in place with a nut on the inside.
So standard front hubs with a fixed axle won't work.

You can see pictures of the parts and buy them here -> https://shop.icletta.com/en/wheels-hubs ... naben.html

Not sure where you are with the steering ??

Luck ......... :D
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

It will be a M12 bolt/axle and either Sturmey Archer drum brake or ICE/Hope disc braked hubs.
The axle length is shorter than the current ones as the allen head grub screw locks it in place and the axle hole is threaded.

The later/current ones are unthreaded and have a nut on the inner end of the axle to lock it.

For more detailed information contact ICE & they may even be able to tell you the age.

HTH