HeadLight fitting to SMGTE

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
steve6854

HeadLight fitting to SMGTE

Postby steve6854 » 9 Oct 2020, 11:16am

I have a Garmin HeadLight that uses a GoPro type fitting. I'm struggling to find a satisfactory solution to mounting a Go Pro mount to my SMGTE.

I've looked at using the speedo bar from HP, but that means I have a mount, with a mount, with a mount. Lots of bolts etc to come loose and maybe get stolen.

I've thought about making a mount but my engineering skills leave a lot to be desired.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has solved this problem or has insights that might help.

Steve

Jdsk

Re: HeadLight fitting to SMGTE

Postby Jdsk » 9 Oct 2020, 11:31am

Could you add photos of the lamp and the possible positions on the HPV?

Jonathan (Just put a B+M IQ-X on an upright... but it took some pondering)

Grldtnr

Postby Grldtnr » 9 Oct 2020, 11:43am

steve6854 wrote:I have a Garmin HeadLight that uses a GoPro type fitting. I'm struggling to find a satisfactory solution to mounting a Go Pro mount to my SMGTE.

I've looked at using the speedo bar from HP, but that means I have a mount, with a mount, with a mount. Lots of bolts etc to come loose and maybe get stolen.

I've thought about making a mount but my engineering skills leave a lot to be desired.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has solved this problem or has insights that might help.

Steve

Have you got a dellraliuer tube for a front changer?

If you have you could try doing what I did, I used a copper tee joint plumbing fitting, 22mm size , you will have to make a T shaped cut In the fitting, one across the fitting ,one down with a hacksaw. Then remove the blanking Cap of the front tube and push fit the tee piece it's a tight fit, then you can cut a short length of 22 mm dia pipe , I used plastic pipe as it was there, insert into T -piece to mount your lamp, or if you have it a bit of copper & solder it in ,most plumbing fittings come ready soldered all you need do it's heat it with a blow torch or gas flame.
Basic bodging, cheap as chips!
Will try & attach a pic.

steve6854

Postby steve6854 » 9 Oct 2020, 11:55am

I'm trying to work out how to fit something like the go pro mount to my SMGTE

If you've found a Go Pro mount that might fit, I'm open to suggestions. Image

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 9 Oct 2020, 12:03pm

There are all sorts of conflicts and compromises to consider.
A light that puts any residual brightness onto the cranks is a reduction of view of the road ahead.

A fairing effectively also rules out a front light mounted above boom on the bike itself. The light needs to be outside the fairing.

I found a place underneath the boom (which avoids the lit whirling cranks in line of sight issue) that I think pretty optimal but it uses part of the HP fairing mount.
Folds away and is easily adjustable for angle. But very simple.

The light is obviously a bit lower than optimal, that is a very shallow beam angle to the road, but illuminates unevenness and potholes well.
But importantly there is no spread of light onto the bike itself.

It is just a simple piece of handle bar cut down and drilled to fit!
The bar fitting takes both a Hope type clamp or a cheap "Aldi rubber strap job"equally well.
(I am not familiar with your light sorry. And the bike is older.)

I guess a piece of simple steel strip drilled and bent would replace the fairing mount part ok.

It's just to give you a couple of ideas really.
Image Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 9 Oct 2020, 12:08pm

Grldtnr wrote:Have you got a dellraliuer tube for a front changer?

And if so how is it capped? And is there space on the tube for a mount?

And if not what's the square bit in front of the chain guard on the one in the picture below?

Jonathan

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 9 Oct 2020, 4:33pm

steve6854 wrote:I'm trying to work out how to fit something like the go pro mount to my SMGTE

If you've found a Go Pro mount that might fit, I'm open to suggestions. Image
NUKe

steve6854

Postby steve6854 » 9 Oct 2020, 4:42pm

Thanks all, lots of food for thought. I'll think about this at the weekend.

ONETAL

Postby ONETAL » 9 Oct 2020, 6:58pm

Hi Steve, send my your address I will post this mount to you if you want it. It's got a sticky pad and a strap so you can hang it from the boom.
Alan.
Image Attachments
IMG_20201009_183851.jpg

yostumpy

Postby yostumpy » 31 Dec 2020, 8:18am

steve6854 wrote:I have a Garmin HeadLight that uses a GoPro type fitting. I'm struggling to find a satisfactory solution to mounting a Go Pro mount to my SMGTE.

Steve

How did you get on Steve? Sorted yet?