HeadLight fitting to SMGTE

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
steve6854

HeadLight fitting to SMGTE

Post by steve6854 »

I have a Garmin HeadLight that uses a GoPro type fitting. I'm struggling to find a satisfactory solution to mounting a Go Pro mount to my SMGTE.

I've looked at using the speedo bar from HP, but that means I have a mount, with a mount, with a mount. Lots of bolts etc to come loose and maybe get stolen.

I've thought about making a mount but my engineering skills leave a lot to be desired.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has solved this problem or has insights that might help.

Steve
Jdsk

Re: HeadLight fitting to SMGTE

Post by Jdsk »

Could you add photos of the lamp and the possible positions on the HPV?

Jonathan (Just put a B+M IQ-X on an upright... but it took some pondering)
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

steve6854 wrote:I have a Garmin HeadLight that uses a GoPro type fitting. I'm struggling to find a satisfactory solution to mounting a Go Pro mount to my SMGTE.

I've looked at using the speedo bar from HP, but that means I have a mount, with a mount, with a mount. Lots of bolts etc to come loose and maybe get stolen.

I've thought about making a mount but my engineering skills leave a lot to be desired.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has solved this problem or has insights that might help.

Steve

Have you got a dellraliuer tube for a front changer?

If you have you could try doing what I did, I used a copper tee joint plumbing fitting, 22mm size , you will have to make a T shaped cut In the fitting, one across the fitting ,one down with a hacksaw. Then remove the blanking Cap of the front tube and push fit the tee piece it's a tight fit, then you can cut a short length of 22 mm dia pipe , I used plastic pipe as it was there, insert into T -piece to mount your lamp, or if you have it a bit of copper & solder it in ,most plumbing fittings come ready soldered all you need do it's heat it with a blow torch or gas flame.
Basic bodging, cheap as chips!
Will try & attach a pic.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

I'm trying to work out how to fit something like the go pro mount to my SMGTE

If you've found a Go Pro mount that might fit, I'm open to suggestions. Image
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

There are all sorts of conflicts and compromises to consider.
A light that puts any residual brightness onto the cranks is a reduction of view of the road ahead.

A fairing effectively also rules out a front light mounted above boom on the bike itself. The light needs to be outside the fairing.

I found a place underneath the boom (which avoids the lit whirling cranks in line of sight issue) that I think pretty optimal but it uses part of the HP fairing mount.
Folds away and is easily adjustable for angle. But very simple.

The light is obviously a bit lower than optimal, that is a very shallow beam angle to the road, but illuminates unevenness and potholes well.
But importantly there is no spread of light onto the bike itself.

It is just a simple piece of handle bar cut down and drilled to fit!
The bar fitting takes both a Hope type clamp or a cheap "Aldi rubber strap job"equally well.
(I am not familiar with your light sorry. And the bike is older.)

I guess a piece of simple steel strip drilled and bent would replace the fairing mount part ok.

It's just to give you a couple of ideas really.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Grldtnr wrote:Have you got a dellraliuer tube for a front changer?

And if so how is it capped? And is there space on the tube for a mount?

And if not what's the square bit in front of the chain guard on the one in the picture below?

Jonathan

NUKe

Post by NUKe »

steve6854 wrote:I'm trying to work out how to fit something like the go pro mount to my SMGTE

If you've found a Go Pro mount that might fit, I'm open to suggestions. Image
NUKe

Post by steve6854 »

Thanks all, lots of food for thought. I'll think about this at the weekend.
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

Hi Steve, send my your address I will post this mount to you if you want it. It's got a sticky pad and a strap so you can hang it from the boom.
Alan.
Attachments
IMG_20201009_183851.jpg
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

steve6854 wrote:I have a Garmin HeadLight that uses a GoPro type fitting. I'm struggling to find a satisfactory solution to mounting a Go Pro mount to my SMGTE.

Steve

How did you get on Steve? Sorted yet?
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

Not yet... Still puzzling. Also I'm struggling a bit with my mirror and cycle computer.

Mounting things on a recumbent especially a low bar one is too day the least challenging!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my KB2003 using hovercraft full of eels.
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

It's taken considerably long than expected or planned! No excuses, I've been riding the GTE rather than fettling.

I've also been looking for an elegant rather than Heath Robinson. I think I've cracked it [emoji16]. Image

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my KB2003 using hovercraft full of eels.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well done.

What's the strut on which it's mounted?

And why are there two transverse bolts in the solution? Is it to gain extra height from the bit between them?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A source of all sorts of brackets and fittings for recumbents https://t-cycle.com

BUT, from US and one part I was considering (US$100) they quoted US$55 shipping to UK - so I didn't order. BUT, some of the brackets and fittings stocked by https://www.icletta.com/en/index.en.html in Germany and when I contacted them about a part shipped to UK end-Jan they replied and DIDN'T say there were any issues shipping to UK (they didn't say they could either - they didn't mention it).

Ian
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

Jdsk wrote:Well done.

What's the strut on which it's mounted?

And why are there two transverse bolts in the solution? Is it to gain extra height from the bit between them?

Jonathan
It's on the front derailleur mount. I had to mix up multiple mounts to get where I wanted. It's taken ages to find the right ones. Fortunately, the Go-Pro type mounts were both cheap. The ring mount on the derailleur mount wasn't.

The main thing is, I'm happy with the result [emoji16]