End of Rainbow Ligfietsen?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

End of Rainbow Ligfietsen?

Post by UpWrong »

They produced the bikes for Nazca as well as their own range. I'm getting a server not found message on their URL http://www.rainbowligfietsen.nl/

Maybe just temporarily shut due to COVID. I hope so,
OldBloke

Re: End of Rainbow Ligfietsen?

Post by OldBloke »

UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Yes but they don't run that website so it might just be out of date. Will have to wait and see. Just concerned that another European bent builder had to gone out of business. Who's left? AZUB and ....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote:Yes but they don't run that website so it might just be out of date. Will have to wait and see. Just concerned that another European bent builder had to gone out of business. Who's left? AZUB and ....

ICE
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
n0ct0

Post by n0ct0 »

HP Velotechnik. M5. Pelso Brevet.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
UpWrong wrote:Yes but they don't run that website so it might just be out of date. Will have to wait and see. Just concerned that another European bent builder had to gone out of business. Who's left? AZUB and ....

ICE

All their frames made in Taiwan.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

n0ct0 wrote:HP Velotechnik. M5. Pelso Brevet.

All HP velo frames are made in Taiwan. Pelso yes. Hungarian I think. M5 frames made in the Netherlands?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Why does it matter if the frame is made in Europe or one of the main frame making countries like Taiwan? What matters is the quality and Taiwan can make quality because they have that record with some big name brands that sell good bikes.

What is bad is a bent manufacturer has failed when potentially moving frame production to Taiwan could have possibly kept it going. Perhaps not but there's a reason brands do move production out of Europe or out of Western Europe.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Tangled Metal wrote:Why does it matter if the frame is made in Europe or one of the main frame making countries like Taiwan? What matters is the quality and Taiwan can make quality because they have that record with some big name brands that sell good bikes.

What is bad is a bent manufacturer has failed when potentially moving frame production to Taiwan could have possibly kept it going. Perhaps not but there's a reason brands do move production out of Europe or out of Western Europe.

I'm certainly not criticising Taiwanesse quality. I guess it's a lament that recumbent bikes (the two wheeled variety) have withered in Europe. I had the feeling the the Netherflands was the centre of 'bentdom, so sad to see it decline. Interesting point that Optima and Challenge should have moved frame production elsewhere. I believe Challenge are still going as a small quantity, direct, face to face sales business but aren't interested in dealerships.
n0ct0

Post by n0ct0 »

Forgot about Flevobikes and RaptoBike.

Couldn’t get in touch with Challenge earlier in the year.

Lamentable that so many businesses have gone, but that’s the recumbent story worldwide. We are down to one (official) HP dealer in the UK. I can think of a 2 or 3 recumbent dealers in the UK that have disappeared also.

It’s a shame, but the demand just isn’t there. I’ve not seen one other recumbent for years on the road. Which makes me realise that I am that beardy weirdy guy on the strange bike. :D
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

I thought that Challenge, Raptobike and perhaps some others were taken over by Elan. I think Elan is basically just one guy, and prefers to sell to local customers. But if you really want one and are patient, perhaps it can be done.

Perhaps Elan will also take over the Nazca designs.

I wonder who actually makes the bikes for Elan?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Yes that's right, Challenge and Raptobikes both owned by Elan. Presumably the frames are manufactured by the same Dutch company or companies as previously but in small periodic batches. No neew models have appeared since the Challenge Chamsin.