Recumbent trike mudguards

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Recumbent trike mudguards

Postby belgiangoth » 18 Dec 2020, 4:23pm

I was wondering whether there was a middle ground between "no mudguards" and pending £150-200 on them? I am specifically asking for a Catrike with 18" wheels.
If I had a baby elephant, it would point out that there is no evidence for planing. Then it would eat all my bananas.

[XAP]Bob

Re: Recumbent trike mudguards

Postby [XAP]Bob » 19 Dec 2020, 11:23am

Build your own?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 20 Dec 2020, 10:14am

Are there instructionables about this somewhere? I was thinking that possibly some sort of bracket and a small bit of plastic btwn my hands and the tyre would do.
If I had a baby elephant, it would point out that there is no evidence for planing. Then it would eat all my bananas.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Dec 2020, 7:11pm

It depends what you want them to do...

Where is the spray annoying you?

I don't ride the cheetah in wet weather because I don't like getting mouthfuls of road soup, and my glasses get spattered, the ICE is equipped with full guards - but in really wet conditions I used to get some spray hitting my hips.
The little KMX in the garage has really small guards by the hands.

Basically you need to figure out a fairly robust bracket to attach somewhere that turns with the wheels.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

KM2

Postby KM2 » 22 Dec 2020, 12:00pm

I remember some time ago, someone recommended a sheet of rigid plastic, positioned from cruciform to beyond the underside of the seat. Defeats the hip spray.