Recumbent trike mudguards

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Recumbent trike mudguards

Post by belgiangoth »

I was wondering whether there was a middle ground between "no mudguards" and pending £150-200 on them? I am specifically asking for a Catrike with 18" wheels.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Recumbent trike mudguards

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Build your own?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Are there instructionables about this somewhere? I was thinking that possibly some sort of bracket and a small bit of plastic btwn my hands and the tyre would do.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It depends what you want them to do...

Where is the spray annoying you?

I don't ride the cheetah in wet weather because I don't like getting mouthfuls of road soup, and my glasses get spattered, the ICE is equipped with full guards - but in really wet conditions I used to get some spray hitting my hips.
The little KMX in the garage has really small guards by the hands.

Basically you need to figure out a fairly robust bracket to attach somewhere that turns with the wheels.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I remember some time ago, someone recommended a sheet of rigid plastic, positioned from cruciform to beyond the underside of the seat. Defeats the hip spray.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I have been offered some ICE mudguards second hand (from a poster on this forum).

They would need cosmetic work and while the attachments to the trike are osund the mudguards themselves would need replacing.

I am in two minds as I need to factor cost of attachments + replacement mudguards + postage + paint + time + replacements for things that I foul up mechanically.

In the other corner would be a new set of catrike mudguards. I would buy from US and they would arrive (eventually) with a relative. Catrike mudguards are about £120, but I don't think they have the adjustment that ICE have (though possibly ICE 's adjustment range wouldn't reach low enough for my smaller wheels anyhow).

Any thoughts welcome.
squeaker

Fenders

Post by squeaker »

I suspect that Catrike's current offerings are for 20" (406) wheel / tyre combos? I vaguely recall seeing an attachment method for Catrike that used the outside of the axle bolt as an attachment point - but my memory might be playing tricks.
"42"
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I would be inclined to drill and tap the bolt to receive a normal mudguard stay.
Or could you turn the wheel bolt round so you could put an attachment, like the old bikit things from years ago.
I know this means you have to remove mudguards before mending it puncture but it would save £”s
You could use the normal stays. You wouldn’t need such heavy one sided stays, as per Ice etc.
I remember using rear mudguards on a trike too stop your feet getting wet, one bad winter.
If you made the attachments qr then they can be removed easily for those good days.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

KM2, I'm not sure I follow. Any pictures you could link to?
Do you mean drilling and tapping so that a normal mudguard setup would be attached? How would you deal with having only lateral (no in-line) attachment points? Would that be doable with an alu frame?

At that point it might make more sense to get something that fits over the QR lever to provide the attachement points - but I'm still lost as to what will stop the mudguards rotating forward/backward.

That is a good thought though, I shall have a look in situ.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Thinking about it a little more. The top cap of the catrike handlebars is an anchor point for your inboard stays and would stop any rotation. The outboard stays are merely a support.
You could slot the place where the mudguard attaches for ease of removal.
EBE6F341-8D65-4A18-A6BB-5C8652614C2A.jpeg
You have lots of inboard attachment points on brake mounts etc.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Drop us a photo of the front wheel from the top, one from the inside, and one from the outside.

Focussing on the support structures.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Photos!
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Based on those pictures I am wary that ICE mudguards would not fit, as the angle of the bike to the wheels would mean that a straight line from the star nut would hit the top of the wheel.

Not sure that drill and tap into Alu is a wise move. Could fit an attachment on the outside of the wheel where the QR goes through - small wheel so maybe only needs mono attachment (as you get on mono forks A La Burrows anyhow) - need to consider some other fastening point to prevent it rotating.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

belgiangoth wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 12:11pmNot sure that drill and tap into Alu is a wise move.
What's the thickness?

Jonathan
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I think the technical answer to that question is "idunno".