New (to me) Catrike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Re: New (to me) Catrike

Post by belgiangoth »

So, considering some of the designed for Catrike 700 bags by arkel
https://www.arkel-od.com/catrike-700/
What concerns me (other than the price!) is that they are designed for the 2013 onwards bikes - e.g. the 20" front wheel model, which mine is not. I'm not sure how they would be significantly different so as not to fit though.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I wasn't aware they changed the bag design but the arkel description is specific about which model. I didn't use mine because they were so small. I preferred to use some ICE throwover side pod bags with my 2015 700.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I think I need to look for dimensions posted online. I expect they will fit though.

Did you use radical banana racers or larger? Radical reckon it's only the racers that will fit. I reckon the side bags being more integrated would be a more permanent option - along the same lines as a saddlepack on a df. Not really for carrying loads though.

On a more general "luggage for catrike" question, any idea what the under-seat slung bag is here:
... or is it attached to the frame under the seat?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

belgiangoth wrote: 3 May 2021, 11:22amOn a more general "luggage for catrike" question, any idea what the under-seat slung bag is here:... or is it attached to the frame under the seat?
One of these?
Had one on my old Raptobike. Not much capacity, but useful for pump, tools, spare tubes + energy bars!
P2180542.JPG
"42"
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Hard to tell, the one on the Catrike looks bigger.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

UpWrong wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:07am I wasn't aware they changed the bag design but the arkel description is specific about which model. I didn't use mine because they were so small. I preferred to use some ICE throwover side pod bags with my 2015 700.
Within the day I got a response from arkel and photos showing the dimensions
The Catrike 700 rear triangle was slightly modified in 2013 and previous rear triangle dimensions were larger. We made the bag a little smaller however is still fits the older version.
Like the Radical bags it is a luxury but it may be my "excess" spending this year.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

... although £100+Vat... It is for a pair, but that's pricey!
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Took the trike out again this morning with #1 son. It is night and day compared with riding a bike, not having to unclip/clip in at junctions, being able to lean forward to see at junctions, the lack of any effort/focus to balance (an issue for my SPM, not the DF), being able to ride no hands or with one hand lightly on the bars.
I do remain significantly slower than on my other bikes though.

I am starting to ponder whether there is a trike equivalent to an Aesgard bike shed for out front, would make my life that much easier...
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Trikes are at another level of relaxation but it sounds like you are not yet turned in to the SPM. Strangely after about 5 years I have finally got tuned in to my Stratus XP and am reaching another level of relaxation on it. My touch on the bars now is so light regardless of what is going on around me and almost regardless of the state of the roads and what bumps and troughs I am passing over. Difficult junctions no longer cause a rise in anxietly levels. So why now? I think I just finally got it dialled in with the small front wheel and the handlebar position.It has less fork flop than my uprights and can almost be ridden hands free, and I have confidence that it will keep tracking straight and true until I make a course alteration.