Fitting Pogies (bar mitts) to my ICE

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
DGG1941

Fitting Pogies (bar mitts) to my ICE

Post by DGG1941 »

Having suffered cold fingers and hands for far too long I have finally fitted a pair of Pogies to the trike. They are made by https://www.hotpog.co.uk/collections/cycling in the UK. One enormous plus - they really do keep your hands and wrists warm; it’s like having your hands in your jacket pockets! - and three downsides:

The first is that all of my handlebar furniture had to be moved to allow the Pogies to drop over the vertical bars properly: mirrors, bell, e-motor controller, gps holder and wrist supports. But being someone who likes redesigning the way things work on my trike this was part of the fun. The most challenging were the wrist supports as they had to use a U shaped piece, version 1.5 of which can be seen in the picture.

The next (small) challenge was to keep the pogies in place so that they did not tip forward every time I withdrew my arm.

And something that is probably a feature of all such items on a trike is that trousers rub slightly against the pogies when pedalling, although this is unlikely with Lycra clad thighs.

All in all an excellent addition which is extending my triking further into the winter months.

3776C998-3616-4C1F-A1E9-87B645A46A89.jpeg
Attachments
D6F5AEBB-FBC7-4FB4-BD88-55C570CCC511.jpeg
Last edited by DGG1941 on 30 Dec 2020, 3:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
rjb

Re: Fitting Pogies (bar mitts) to my ICE

Post by rjb »

Very nice but when I first saw your photo it reminded me of those ventilation funnels you see on big ships. With all the water around currently you could be mistaken for a boat. :lol:
Mrs Rjb could do with pogies on the tandem as she suffers from cold hands.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Re: Fitting Pogies (bar mitts) to my ICE

Post by reohn2 »

I've fitted a pair on my motorcycle(made by Givi),they certainly do make a big difference.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden