For Bobs eyes only. How to make disc covers. Page 1

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
ONETAL

For Bobs eyes only. How to make disc covers. Page 1

Post by ONETAL »

The covers are made out of Polypropylene sheets o.8mm 1100 650, I got them from Kitronik on line.

With a spare rim draw a line around it then cut out the discs along the line take your time doing this, when you have the number you need cut a strait line from the middle to the out side edge. for the front inside covers measure the size of hole needed to cut out note that if you have disc calipers you will more than likely have to cut the hole bigger to just above the widest part of caliper, place the cover on the wheel and shape it to spokes and tape the join on the in side to hold it's shape then put a line of double sided sticky tape around the rim and place the disc onto the tape, then near the hub puncture 4 pairs of holes to fasten zip ties around the spokes at the crossover if possible.

For the outside cover is the same but with out without the cut out and use sticky back Velcro instead of the double sided tape. Stick some of the Velcro on the hub as well.
ONETAL

How to make disc covers. Page 2

Post by ONETAL »

For the rear wheel it's very similar to the inside front with both sides needing the cutouts and use 5 zip ties on each side. I placed the Velcroed cover on the left side of the wheel but take your pick. With the left over plastic sheets cut strips (I made them 25mm wide) 4or5mm longer than the joints from the middle to the edge and with the double sided tape place over the joints to strengthen them. Then sent me £25 for the use of the patent. Have fun making them and don't cut a finger off cutting them out.
[XAP]Bob

Re: For Bobs eyes only. How to make disc covers. Page 1

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No sealing tape around the rim then?

I'm vaguely considering monokote or similar at the moment, will take me a while to get round it it. Do you notice any benefit from the discs?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

[XAP]Bob wrote:No sealing tape around the rim then?

I'm vaguely considering monokote or similar at the moment, will take me a while to get round it it. Do you notice any benefit from the discs?

Didn't think about sealing tape, the disc sits up to the side wall of the tyre.

They are on my summer trike that's not even been out in the wet so will not know for a little time yet, but they look good which is the main reason I made them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd be somewhat concerned that the cover will wear through the sidewall as the sidewall moves around at the load bearing point.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

If the cover is attacked with zip ties at the spoke crossings then you will limit the cover movement. Trim to tolernce.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not concerned about the cover moving relative to the wheel, but the tyre itself deflects as it passes by the contact patch.
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

Went out today for the first time since the current lockdown started (I inherited mothers dogs so walking them was my 1 a day outside exercise) . I rode 42 miles with the disc covers on and all was fine, happy with them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Excellent- are there any signs of rubbing on the tyre sidewall in the mm or so outside where the disc covers normally sit?
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

No none. It took a mile or two to get used to the gusty wind hitting the front covers but after getting the feel of the steering in the wind, all was good.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Excellent...
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

After we lost a fight with a car my disc covers are in a bad way, one has a big hole in it and two are badly scuffed and the 53t Rotor Q ring is dead as well. Apart from that the tike is fine.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Dude, harsh! Hope you are okay.

On the wheel covers front:
* Any chance of some photos?
* what is the panel's view on how neat the job needs to be? As in does some element of wheel coverage add to aerodynamics or does a gappy/damaged wheel cover actually hinder aerodynamics?
* What are the considerations beyond "cut to size and attach to wheel" that need considering?

I have to say on the face of it it sounds like a simple thing to do, but I have seen a number of very complicated instructions that suggest that it isn't. Also, y experience of wheel covers is mainly from bike polo where the design aim is to stop mallets getting stuck in spokes, as opposed to aero advantage.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

What happened was I was riding along a straight road and a car came out of a junction on the right, I tried to swerve out of it's way but was thrown off the trike and then the car ran over my leg. Luckily no bones were broken but still bloody hurt.

As the making of the covers it was fairly easy, I did just made it up as I went along. I used a sharp pair of scissors to cut them out.

They do make a difference on the aero front by quite a bit, though descending at 49mph with a cross breeze was a bit exciting with covers on the front wheels.
IMG_20210405_114604 (2).jpg
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Ouch!

You also have very large front wheels. I wonder whether wheel spats wouldn't have a similar effect and also reduce being splashed in the rain.