AZUB wheel drum servicing problems

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

AZUB wheel drum servicing problems

Post by UpWrong »

It seems AZUB have changed their method of attaching axles to kingpins in recent years. Their on-line trike user manual is out of date, referring to an 18mm bolt on the axle hub. Now there is a Torx head bolt, probably a T30. You can remove the wheel without undoing this via the 5mm inboard Allen bolt but I think the outer bolt needs to be undone to separate the drum shoe brake plate from the drum. You then get the axle and brake plate as one part and the drum and wheel as the other. So getting the wheels on and off is easy but servicing the drum has proved to be a problem because the Torx headed bolt holding the hub cap on rounds off easily. With my T-tris they have been glued in with lots and lots of blue loctite.

I got the right wheel bolt undone OK but I've rounded off the bolt on the left wheel. TBH I was unsure whether to use a T27 or T30. The T27 dropped in further so that's the one I tried, without success. I've ordered am impact screwdriver and will try it with a T30 bit. If that fails I guess I'm going to have to buy a reversible drill and try to drill it out. An unexpected problem, has rather ruined my weekend :evil:
[XAP]Bob

Re: AZUB wheel drum servicing problems

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Whilst you might not be able to service it at the moment, is it at least still tight enough to ride?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

1 There are things that look like Torx fasteners but aren't quite. The fit on the bit should be good. Can you add a photo? Have you asked the company?

2 Blue Loctite thread sealant (and similar) weaken with heat. A soldering iron might be a convenient way of applying it.

3 Is there enough head left on the damaged bolt and enough access to let you cut a slot with a cutting disc and then use a screwdriver?

Jonathan
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Whilst you might not be able to service it at the moment, is it at least still tight enough to ride?

Yes the left wheel bolt is still done up tight so I can ride it.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Jdsk wrote:1 There are things that look like Torx fasteners but aren't quite. The fit on the bit should be good. Can you add a photo? Have you asked the company?

2 Blue Loctite thread sealant (and similar) weaken with heat. A soldering iron might be a convenient way of applying it.

3 Is there enough head left on the damaged bolt and enough access to let you cut a slot with a cutting disc and then use a screwdriver?

Jonathan

I've emailed AZUB to ask them what it is. It's not a philips or pozidrive so I guess it must be a Torx of some size. The T30 didn't seem to go in which is why I tried the T27 but on reflection I think that was the wrong choice. The bolt head is flush with the wheel hub cap so I can't cut a slot in it. I've just watched a video about using a soldering iron to heat the screw and melt the sealant. I think I'll try that before whacking it with the T30 impact screwdriver. Thanks.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

AZUB have replied to say it's a T30 bolt. I have an impact screwdriver from Screwfix, and a soldering iron, so just waiting now for a dry day to lay the trike on its side on some grass and give it a go.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I am furious. Gave it a go today after carefully reading the instructions on the back of the impact screwdriver and it wouldn't shift. I banged on the impact drvier as hard as I dared. Then I thought I'd better double check with AZUB that it's normal thread. They got back to me quickly and it is. Then I had doubts about my use of the impact screwdriver so I reread the instuctions which were clear and in good English. So I watched some videos on line of of other impact drivers in use and my doubts increased. Finally I read some amazon product reviews of the driver I had bought and these confirmed, THE INSTRUCTIONS HAVE THE DIRECTION INDICATOR THE WRONG WAY ROUND :evil: . So I've been tightening it. R - should be for right (i.e. clockwise) rather than Reverse which is what the instructions said. So L to Loosen. Fortunately I've not made the head any worse but I really am livid.

So, I'm plucking up the courage to give it another go. One video advocates putting grinding paste on the bit to increase grip but I don't have any. I'm not sure my soldering iron was doing anything. It's a rather puny 25W rating, but AZUB did recommend heating the bolt.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Job done. Thanks heavens I thought to query the instructions before going too far.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well done.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote:I am furious. Gave it a go today after carefully reading the instructions on the back of the impact screwdriver and it wouldn't shift. I banged on the impact drvier as hard as I dared. Then I thought I'd better double check with AZUB that it's normal thread. They got back to me quickly and it is. Then I had doubts about my use of the impact screwdriver so I reread the instuctions which were clear and in good English. So I watched some videos on line of of other impact drivers in use and my doubts increased. Finally I read some amazon product reviews of the driver I had bought and these confirmed, THE INSTRUCTIONS HAVE THE DIRECTION INDICATOR THE WRONG WAY ROUND :evil: . So I've been tightening it. R - should be for right (i.e. clockwise) rather than Reverse which is what the instructions said. So L to Loosen. Fortunately I've not made the head any worse but I really am livid.

So, I'm plucking up the courage to give it another go. One video advocates putting grinding paste on the bit to increase grip but I don't have any. I'm not sure my soldering iron was doing anything. It's a rather puny 25W rating, but AZUB did recommend heating the bolt.

That's an appalling piece of instruction writing, is there no way to empirically test the direction of the impact driver?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote:That's an appalling piece of instruction writing, is there no way to empirically test the direction of the impact driver?

Yes there is a way, which I belatedly observed on an internet posted video. If the impact screwdriver has a 1/2" square driver then you can put it on an immoveable object and see which direction it rotates when you push on the body to activate the cam action. There's a bit of a knack to it but it's what finally convinced me. This is the driver,
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-pro-impact-driver-set-13-pieces/7257r
See the second page of reviews for confirmation the instructions are wrong.