Bike racks to fit Nazca Fuego

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cbentl2

Bike racks to fit Nazca Fuego

Post by cbentl2 »

Hello,

My husband has a Nazca Fuego, and it does not fit rear carriers for a car because it's too long. For the Fuego, the wheelbase is around 125cm which is longer than a normal bike or other recumbents. We recently moved to Sheffield and he won't take it out anymore cause it's too hilly here, so I'd love to find a way to transport it for him. Otherwise we will soon be posting to sell it I imagine! He would be heartbroken.

We have a skoda octavia hatchback (not the wagon) and we could attach a roofrack for this.

Thanks for any advice.

Caitlin
Jdsk

Re: Bike racks to fit Nazca Fuego

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

1 What's the overall length of the bike?

2 Would he be able to lift it onto a roofrack?

Jonathan
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

I've a Street machine GTE, they don't fit a conventional Thule roof rack system. So I bought the Thule bike roof mount which fixes via the front forks (you remove the front wheel). It works perfectly. I've got a Hyundai i30 and it's very manageable.

Steve
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Might also be possible to drop the gearing slightly, enabling rides around the hills of Sheffield.

There are “suction cup” based roof mounts which obviously adapt to basically any wheelbase.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cbentl2

Post by cbentl2 »

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks so much for posting those photos -- yes those are them!

For Question 1 - the total length is 210cm, without taking any of it apart.

For Question 2 - yes, it would be a joint effort, and probably with a step ladder! If we have no choice, we have no choice..
cbentl2

Post by cbentl2 »

steve6854 wrote:I've a Street machine GTE, they don't fit a conventional Thule roof rack system. So I bought the Thule bike roof mount which fixes via the front forks (you remove the front wheel). It works perfectly. I've got a Hyundai i30 and it's very manageable.

Steve

THanks! Will check it out.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cbentl2 wrote:For Question 1 - the total length is 210cm, without taking any of it apart.

The third generation Octavia is 1,814mm wide and the fourth generation 1,829mm.

Mounted across the back that would give a total overlap of about 300mm. How would you feel about that?

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jdsk wrote:
cbentl2 wrote:For Question 1 - the total length is 210cm, without taking any of it apart.

The third generation Octavia is 1,814mm wide and the fourth generation 1,829mm.

Mounted across the back that would give a total overlap of about 300mm. How would you feel about that?

Jonathan

Mounted across the back at an angle might be even less, and dropping the rear wheel might be none...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:2 Would he be able to lift it onto a roofrack?

cbentl2 wrote:For Question 2 - yes, it would be a joint effort, and probably with a step ladder! If we have no choice, we have no choice..

For many years I used the removable seats and sometimes a small folding aluminium step ladder to get the tandems on the Espaces. This worked fine once it was sorted.

There are also lever and gas strut systems for getting HPVs onto the roof, recently discussed here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=144209

Jonathan
hercule

Post by hercule »

I’ve got a Fuego, and an Octavia (but the estate, not sure how much extra length you get - the hatchback’s boot seemed pretty cavernous!). I can fit the Fuego in the back with the seats down, but the boom needs to go between the front seats - I use a thick plastic bag (think fertiliser or feed bag) over the boom to keep the oily bits away from the upholstery. If you’re taking two bikes, cardboard on top of the Fuego would protect it whilst you lay the other one on top. I hate putting bikes outside the car anyway, but we also have a Pendle tandem roof rack that would fit the Fuego too. Remember to take the seat cushion off before you drive away or you may never see it again!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

It might fit inside diagonally from front left to right rear in a vertical position with the front seat pushed forward if you remove the wheels and mudguards. Replace the 26" wheel with a 20" one to protect the rear derailleur and so it can be rolled. Fork at the front. That's how I transport my Nazca Paseo in my Skoda Roomster.You might be able to fit it in with the mudguards in place but the front usually gets bent out of position. The rear could be shortened rather than removed totally.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

When I took my Fuego on the family holiday I took one pedal off and loosened the top half of the tiller stem so I could rotate the bars and laid the bike flat on top of the roof bars. A couple of straps kept it tight. Not the simplest or fastest solution though. It’s a long bike unfortunately. Perhaps one of the most fun to ride though, which does make up for it.
cbentl2

Post by cbentl2 »

Thanks so much for all this great advice!!! I've got lots of things to try and will insist that we do.. My husband was feeling truly defeated, and I feel confident insisting to try now :)

Happy riding!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There is a solution, and once you find it it will be so “obvious” you’ll wonder why it took so much effort ;)