Blog for new recumebent trike riders

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Timber

Blog for new recumebent trike riders

Post by Timber »

Hi, for anyone interested in riding a recumbent trike and possibly racing I have done a series of lighthearted blogs at onegoodarmtriker.com
Hope it helps someone out there!
[XAP]Bob

Re: Blog for new recumebent trike riders

Post by [XAP]Bob »

http://onegoodarmtriker.com

Sounds like you're having fun on those hills....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

You appear to have forgotten the obligatory post on your trike setup.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Should have said earlier that I have signed up to your blog... good writing! I reduced the tyre pressures on my VTX yesterday, it did make a noticeable difference without adding any obvious effort.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Really enjoyed the blog, in spite of the fact that it's provided further temptation to get a VTX... :)
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Well ...
Do you lack storage space?
Do you already have a trike?
Do you already have a fast recumbent?
Would it be a stretch to buy one?

I would say if you answer "no" to at least two of those...
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

belgiangoth wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 3:11pm Well ...
Do you lack storage space? No
Do you already have a trike? Yes
Do you already have a fast recumbent? Sort of, but I’m not especially confident on a two wheeler
Would it be a stretch to buy one? No, and I think I could just about sneak one in under the C2W limit making it more affordable

I would say if you answer "no" to at least two of those...
Answers above :D I really need to take a test ride on a VTX to get a feel for whether or not it is noticeably swifter than my current trike
hercule

Post by hercule »

They really are quite good, I didn't realise how much quicker it would be than my Trice QNT. But the QNT is more versatile and a bit more comfortable so they complement each other rather well. Phone Kevin... I got my new one for rather less than I had budgeted for.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

hercule wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 7:56pm They really are quite good, I didn't realise how much quicker it would be than my Trice QNT. But the QNT is more versatile and a bit more comfortable so they complement each other rather well. Phone Kevin... I got my new one for rather less than I had budgeted for.
Thanks - that’s useful to know. My trike is a Trice S, so pretty similar to the QNT. You also have/had a Fuego and a Moulton AM don’t you? I’ve ridden both of them too. How do you think the VTX stacks up against them?

I didn’t think of calling Kevin. I’m only just down the road from Ely too :oops:

OP - sorry for hijacking your thread :(
hercule

Post by hercule »

Delighted to lead you astray! :D

My QNT is more a luxury car compared to the VTX. Admittedly my QNT has full suspension and a mesh seat as well as front fairing. The VTX is considerably lower, you sit back a bit further and more centred between the three wheels. I thought the ride would be much harsher than it is; it’s much lighter and goes considerably quicker. There seems to be less boom flex.

I have my doubts about my compatibility with recumbent bikes, the VTX is about as quick as the Fuego but I struggle riding the Fuego up steep hills. Downhill the VTX is a clear winner, it’s really stable and I have not worries about sliding on the sometimes unpredictable road surfaces round here. I’m afraid my Fuego riding has gone right down since I got the VTX, for me it’s a direct swap and I don’t have to worry about falling off, negotiating tricky junctions or steep hills. The major advantage is that the Fuego is much easier to clean after rides on dirty days.

The AM is obviously a different kettle of fish and having had it 30 years I have too much sentimental attachment to it to be objective. I have stashed it in impossible places and ridden many many miles on it. As I have gradually got stiffer it’s been easier to adapt to my aching neck’s needs and still remain a pleasure to ride.

If I had to reduce my collection, the AM would be the last to go. (Rephrase that: I’ll never get rid of it, even if I end up not being able to ride it). The Fuego probably first. Between the two trikes I’d probably keep the Trice as it’s more versatile than the VTX but it’s a tricky choice. If you can the two together make a good pair, perfect tools for different jobs.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I enjoyed reading the blog. I've owned 5 trikes over the years and now appreciate a higher seat height for ease of dismounting. How do you manage on that score with the VTX? My AZUB has swept forward arms to the wheels which makes it easier to get your feet under you. The HPV Scorpion and the Bacchetta Carbontrike take similar approaches.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

hercule wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 7:18pm Delighted to lead you astray! :D
Thanks for the detailed response Hercule. That you (and others) have found the VTX to be about as quick as a Fuego is really selling it for me. I really wanted to like the Fuego but even after several rides I didn’t feel confident riding it, it just felt twitchy and unstable compared to other two wheel ‘bents I’ve ridden, and obviously not in the same league as a trike in the stability stakes.

I do really need to sort out a test ride of the VTX :D
UpWrong wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 10:13am I enjoyed reading the blog. I've owned 5 trikes over the years and now appreciate a higher seat height for ease of dismounting. How do you manage on that score with the VTX?
The user manual for my Trice S (which also has a pretty low seat) has illustrated instructions on how to get in and out of the seat and I believe the VTX manual has the same :) This video really illustrates how low slung the VTX seat is!
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

AM7, have you tried swapping the bars on the nazca? I found my SPM twitchey with a tiller and narrow bars, I swapped the bars out for some north road bars and got a much less twitchy, more sedate, ride.
(I have gone back to the narrow bars and they feel less twitchy from having ridden with the north road bars a bit).
Obviously, it's in no way the same thing as riding the Catrike, but then I can dodge potholes and have suspension.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

AM7 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:39am Thanks for the detailed response Hercule. That you (and others) have found the VTX to be about as quick as a Fuego is really selling it for me. I really wanted to like the Fuego but even after several rides I didn’t feel confident riding it, it just felt twitchy and unstable compared to other two wheel ‘bents I’ve ridden, and obviously not in the same league as a trike in the stability stakes.
That's inconsistent with others' descriptions of the Fuego. Do you have it on the highest ride height? This reduces trail and quickens the steering. The lowest ride height will increase the trail and make the steering less sensitive.

I have a Nazca with the Aerobars. They make the handling more "bike"-like. I don't get on with tiller steering.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

UpWrong wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 1:00pm That's inconsistent with others' descriptions of the Fuego. Do you have it on the highest ride height? This reduces trail and quickens the steering. The lowest ride height will increase the trail and make the steering less sensitive.

I have a Nazca with the Aerobars. They make the handling more "bike"-like. I don't get on with tiller steering.
Yes, every comment I’ve read about the Fuego mentions that it’s a solid, stable ride - that’s one of the things that attracted me to it, but compared to the other two wheel ‘bents I’ve ridden (a 20/26 stick bike with superman bars and a dual 26 high racer with tiller bars), I felt it was the most twitchy - there’s no way I could take a hand off the bars to take a drink for example, and I just generally find it really difficult to relax when riding it. Perhaps it’s the combination of a small front wheel and the tiller steering, and aerobars would improve things.

Incidentally, this is with the ride height in the lowest position and the seat height in the highest, but I’ve tried other combinations too - to be honest I couldn’t really tell any difference between any of the ride height settings!