Trike advice

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Biker Blunt

Trike advice

Post by Biker Blunt »

Hi new here. Been a keen cyclist for many many years but due to ill health I think it’s time for a trike to keep me on the road. I have a recumbent in mind, any particular recommendations please and other than the classified on here where’s the best place to look for a 2nd hand one
Thank you in advance.
Gary
Last edited by Biker Blunt on 27 Apr 2021, 2:23am, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Trike advise

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you?

Kevin at DTek is the obvious recommendation
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Biker Blunt

Post by Biker Blunt »

I’m in Mitcham Surrey
squeaker

Re: Trike advice

Post by squeaker »

Try a few, if you can. (Hence the DTek suggestion.) Lots of variety available, so choice depends upon what you want to do with it (eg touring or speed). If you say roughly where in the UK you are, someone might offer you a look at theirs, including a discussion on the many aspects of recumbent cycling.
Alternatively take a punt on something from ICE, HPV, Catrike or Azub secondhand on e-bay - depreciation on such is generally low, although now is the seller's market... This for example (nothing to do with me) is a good all rounder with excellent manufacturer's spares support (but we do have 2 ICE trikes in the garage).
Finally, gearing: unless you live somewhere very flat you are going to need a far larger gear range than you may be used to with a road bike. An 8 speed won't hack it, especially if your health issues will have an impact. For example, the ICE 'T' in our garage has 15 to 90 inch gearing. At age 72 I need that to get up our local 18% hill with a full load of luggage, whereas on my upright I can 'honk' up it with a 31" bottom gear... Oh, and use a foot retention system, especially with a tadpole trike ;)
"42"
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

The bhpc forum and facebook page have some from time to time, generally at a fair price.

I reckon if you find something in your price range from a recognised brand then buy it and use that to decide what you want on your next bike.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Resale tends to be something to doesn’t cost a huge amount if you’ve been reasonably sympathetic mechanically.

So consider reselling at some small loss and treat it as a medium term rental.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Biker Blunt

Post by Biker Blunt »

Thanks for your help so far. The search begins 😄😄
belgiangoth

Re: Trike advice

Post by belgiangoth »

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=118192.0
Not me, mine nor have I seen it in person.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.