Idlers

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Idlers

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Now that we can’t buy stuff from the EU because of the ridiculous Tory regulations in place (requiring foreign companies to collect VAT for the UK gov)

Where do people get their idlers?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KM2

Re: Idlers

Post by KM2 »

Kinetics, Glasgow a few years back.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I thought ICE sold them as spare parts?

Ian
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Kevin at D-Tek may stock a few.

Luck ......... :D
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

What we needs, is a friendly forumite resident in That Germany ?????? :D

I'd quite like a 23 T idler from TerraCycle for my GTE. BUT the price from the USA loooks to be as cheap if not cheaper , (if I worked out the tax/ import stuff out properly)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

yostumpy wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:24am What we needs, is a friendly forumite resident in That Germany ?????? :D

I'd quite like a 23 T idler from TerraCycle for my GTE. BUT the price from the USA loooks to be as cheap if not cheaper , (if I worked out the tax/ import stuff out properly)
I was interested in a Terra Cycle part (small around US$100 and asked them about delivery charges and Terra Cycle quoted US$55 for shipping to UK!). Icletta don't stock the same range but they quoted me €19.90 for delivery to UK. Icletta also seem happy to order parts they don't stock (or add them to one of their routine orders which they make every 2-3 months).

Ian
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Psamathe wrote: 6 May 2021, 12:47pm
yostumpy wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:24am What we needs, is a friendly forumite resident in That Germany ?????? :D

I was interested in a Terra Cycle part (small around US$100 and asked them about delivery charges and Terra Cycle quoted US$55 for shipping to UK!). Icletta don't stock the same range but they quoted me €19.90 for delivery to UK. Icletta also seem happy to order parts they don't stock (or add them to one of their routine orders which they make every 2-3 months).

Ian
Was the postage quote of 19.90 inclusive of all taxes etc?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

yostumpy wrote: 6 May 2021, 12:53pm
Psamathe wrote: 6 May 2021, 12:47pm

Ian
Was the postage quote of 19.90 inclusive of all taxes etc?
Icletta costs were from an e-mail exchange with them asking about the product (TerraCycle though not their standard stock item) and delivery costs and their reply
"The price would be 100,00 Euro without VAT plus 19,90 Euro shipping DHL parcel to UK" (the item being €100 without VAT) so the taxes on delivery uncertain. And that was back late Jan. I asked the question through their website contact form and they too 9 days to reply but direct e-mails asking a further question got a same day response. Might be most reliable to ask them (a lot has (hopefully) change between Jan and now when it comes to EU to UK shipping!

Ian
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 3 May 2021, 11:20am Now that we can’t buy stuff from the EU because of the ridiculous Tory regulations in place (requiring foreign companies to collect VAT for the UK gov)
Hmm. But isn't the problem because we are implementing an EU tax regulation as agreed with them, but they have delayed implementation on their part because of the pandemic?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:01pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 3 May 2021, 11:20am Now that we can’t buy stuff from the EU because of the ridiculous Tory regulations in place (requiring foreign companies to collect VAT for the UK gov)
Hmm. But isn't the problem because we are implementing an EU tax regulation as agreed with them, but they have delayed implementation on their part because of the pandemic?
Well, the UK’s tax registration threshold for foreign businesses selling physical goods into the country is £0.00. That means you must register for UK VAT as of 1 January if you plan on making any sales within the United Kingdom.
Register for UK VAT
Unfortunately there’s no online option for you! You must register by post using forms VAT1 and VAT1A.

Hopefully within 30 days (though it can take longer), you’ll be sent a VAT registration certificate, which will arrive in your online account. This certificate confirms:
So the UK requires foreign companies to register for VAT in the UK, and submit UK tax returns...
That's not normal

For the EU:
Goods imported from non-member states are subject to VAT at the rate applicable in the importing member state, whether or not the goods are received for consideration and the importer. VAT is generally charged at the border, at the same time as customs duty and uses the price determined by customs
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

yostumpy wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:24am I'd quite like a 23 T idler from TerraCycle for my GTE. BUT the price from the USA loooks to be as cheap if not cheaper , (if I worked out the tax/ import stuff out properly)
I'm sure we could find a friendly EU representative fairly easily.
Alternatively... if you want something from TerraCycle I can always get it delivered to me when I am next in the US, then bring it back and post it on.
Outside of pandemics I used to be over there for work a couple of times a year.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:00am
UpWrong wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:01pm
Well, the UK’s tax registration threshold for foreign businesses selling physical goods into the country is £0.00. That means you must register for UK VAT as of 1 January if you plan on making any sales within the United Kingdom.
Register for UK VAT
Unfortunately there’s no online option for you! You must register by post using forms VAT1 and VAT1A.

Hopefully within 30 days (though it can take longer), you’ll be sent a VAT registration certificate, which will arrive in your online account. This certificate confirms:
So the UK requires foreign companies to register for VAT in the UK, and submit UK tax returns...
That's not normal

For the EU:
Goods imported from non-member states are subject to VAT at the rate applicable in the importing member state, whether or not the goods are received for consideration and the importer. VAT is generally charged at the border, at the same time as customs duty and uses the price determined by customs
Like I said we have implemented new EU e-commerce rules from 1st Jan 2021 whilst the EU delayed implementation until 1st July 2021. See https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/b ... ommerce_en

I have no idea if this delayed implementation will improve things, or just make it difficult in both directions. We shall see.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not relevant the issue at hand:

“cross-border supplies to consumers in the EU.”

We are no longer in the EU, so the system is not relevant to the transaction in question.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I've just bought a T-Cycle clamp on idler return kit from Portland, Oregon, USA.
Shipping cost $45 which included all duties (import, VAT etc).
Ordered on 21/07/2021 arrived on the 29/07/2021.
Brake parts ordered on same day from EU still have not arrived!
Bits coming from Taiwan/China get here quicker and with less fuss.

I'd much prefer to NOT get anything from the EU any more, it's a farce! :twisted:
Things made in the EU are cheaper when sourced from non EU countries. :?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

nigelnightmare wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 1:51pm I've just bought a T-Cycle clamp on idler return kit from Portland, Oregon, USA.
Shipping cost $45 which included all duties (import, VAT etc).
Ordered on 21/07/2021 arrived on the 29/07/2021.
Brake parts ordered on same day from EU still have not arrived!
Bits coming from Taiwan/China get here quicker and with less fuss.

I'd much prefer to NOT get anything from the EU any more, it's a farce! :twisted:
Things made in the EU are cheaper when sourced from non EU countries. :?
Did you purchase direct from T-Cycle or from a dealer/retailer in the US?

Ian