Bachetta Giro 20 adjustments

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Gee

Bachetta Giro 20 adjustments

Post by Gee »

Bachetta Giro 20. I’m getting much more confident now after about 350 miles. Getting faster too! I think I’m falling in love with the thing. I’d still like a bit more performance though.

I’m thinking 3 things to improve my bike a little.

1. I want to upgrade front wheel from 20 to 24 inch. Could anyone recommend a good 24 inch wheel or a rim to get one built.

2. I need to get my seat more reclined now that I’ve had a bit of practise. The stays are as low as they can go though. I’ve noticed that Bachetta supply seat stays in 13, 11 and 9 inch lengths. Mine are 13 inch so keeping the seat quite high. Is there any reason why I can’t just take them off and cut 2 inches off each side? I can’t see why not myself.

3. I’m going to get a better rear wheel. Which again I’ll swap to disc. Could anyone suggest a nice light 26 inch wheel and sticking to roads so don’t need a heavy mountain bike type thing.

2 more things. Anyone know of a rack that will fit or where to get a bachetta one. And I’d like to find a mounting to attach a front light. Where could I get one?
Stradageek

Re: Bachetta Giro 20 adjustments

Post by Stradageek »

Gee wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:53am 1. I want to upgrade front wheel from 20 to 24 inch. Could anyone recommend a good 24 inch wheel or a rim to get one built.
2. I need to get my seat more reclined now that I’ve had a bit of practise. The stays are as low as they can go though. I’ve noticed that Bachetta supply seat stays in 13, 11 and 9 inch lengths. Mine are 13 inch so keeping the seat quite high. Is there any reason why I can’t just take them off and cut 2 inches off each side? I can’t see why not myself.
3. I’m going to get a better rear wheel. Which again I’ll swap to disc. Could anyone suggest a nice light 26 inch wheel and sticking to roads so don’t need a heavy mountain bike type thing.
2 more things. Anyone know of a rack that will fit or where to get a bachetta one. And I’d like to find a mounting to attach a front light. Where could I get one?
1. I'd be inclined to pick up any old wheel and try it first, though this may be difficult as most are on low grade kiddies bikes so getting hold of a reasonable scrap version my be tricky
2. More reclined may lose hill climbing power, so go in easy stages. One step more reclined than this (see photo) proved poor for hill climbing on my Bacchetta
IMG_1673-1.jpg
3. I picked up some really nice replacement wheels for the above Bacchetta - but as both old and new were narrow and took 23mm tyres, I can't say I noticed much difference in performance. Any narrower rim might do.
The 'Brain Box' on the pictured Bacchetta has negated the need for a rack, it takes all my tools, spare clothes, food etc (it's bigger than it looks) - but it wouldn't take a lot of shopping
I've used a Minoura accessory mount, attached to the FD tube, to mount lights http://www.minoura.jp/english/accessory-e/swg400-e.html

Fun, isn't it :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The bachetta rack is hinged so the seat stays can flex. Contact Cyclecentric or Bacchetta directly.

TBH I think you'd be better off saving your pennies for a Giro 26 or Corsa (or a Metabikes perhaps).
Gee

Post by Gee »

Thanks upwrong. I think you’re probably right there is only so far to go with this. I’ve got sone really nice 700c kit around as well.