Front wheel Cargo Trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Front wheel Cargo Trike

Post by belgiangoth »

Our Cargo Trike, front left wheel, it seems to be rubbing for half of the rotation and makes a noise (I'd say like resonating metal). My wife claims it's a mudguard thing but I'm sure the tyre has cleared the mudguard.
When spinning the wheel freely it does this rolling it in the forwards direction, but not in reverse direction - so I am assuming it won't be a bearing issue.
Could it be a disk brake rotor issue? Could there be something in the alignment that means it rubs in one direction but not in reverse?
Any other thoughts?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Jdsk

Re: Front wheel Cargo Trike

Post by Jdsk »

Can you replicate it when the wheel is jacked up or the bike on a stand?

Yes, if the wheel is loose in the frame or the rotor on its fittings it could catch one way but not the other.

Have you inspected the mudguard with the wheel out?

Jonathan
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

In order
1 - yes. when balanced on its box.
2 - I will check but I could neither wobble the rotor nor the wheel (which I was checking to see whether it was true).
3 - No - I must admit that this approaches a level of investigating I had hoped to avoid. I have never removed the front wheel so not 100% sure how it works (other than it's for sure more complicated than on my catrike); removing the mudguard is a thing to try like removing the wheel - but it's heading into "will I be able to put the bits back together afterwards?" territory.

I'm looking to sell the trike and hoping that I can just sell it at a reduced enough price to make it worth someone else faffing with it - but I remain curious and obviously don't want to sell something that is proper broken.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

belgiangoth wrote: 16 May 2021, 11:19am Our Cargo Trike, front left wheel, it seems to be rubbing for half of the rotation and makes a noise (I'd say like resonating metal). My wife claims it's a mudguard thing but I'm sure the tyre has cleared the mudguard.
When spinning the wheel freely it does this rolling it in the forwards direction, but not in reverse direction - so I am assuming it won't be a bearing issue.
Could it be a disk brake rotor issue? Could there be something in the alignment that means it rubs in one direction but not in reverse?
Any other thoughts?
You can eliminate a few issues whilst not straying much beyond lego assembly skills

Take the mud guard thingy off, then take the brake caliper thingy off, if neither of these rectify the issue and it's not plainly rubbing on something else, then it's the wheel, probably,

It worth noting that if you swap the wheels over, then it will indeed be going backwards on the other side
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Disc brake pads rubbing on rotors can make a noise just like you describe.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

How worn are the pads ??
If very worn then the spring that holds then open can start touching the rotor.
This can cause a metallic grinding sound.
Don't ask me how I know ......... :roll:

Luck ............. :D