Northerrn Light velomobile

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Northerrn Light velomobile

Post by UpWrong »

£2799 for a UK made EAPC velomobile. Any takers? I would like to see it succeeed but I think they need to support type approval (as a moped?) to enable the 1000 watt motor to be legally used. https://www.northernlightmotors.com/
Last edited by UpWrong on 17 May 2021, 6:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Northerrn Light velomobile

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hadn't spotted that they were UK made. I love the look but....

- Needs to have mechanical drive option; as you say the current EAPC regulations aren't really clear about what power you can transmit through an electrical drive train.
- They need to extend that bodywork rearwards and enclose the rear wheel.
- Whilst they're at it they should put fairings on both front wheels (also good light mounting points)

- Ground clearance looks terrible
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

The rather large nut and bolt arrangement, with exposed threads, holding the front wheels on, looks a bit...... :roll:
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Interesting, love to try one but way more than I can afford.
Skids

Post by Skids »

Love the look but agree with the comments made above.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't think that the axle system looks durable, especially if they are going to offer it with the higher wattage motor.

This one is a little dearer https://www.podbike.com/products/podbike/
But it is legally a bike (e assist from 250 W motor limited to 25 kph), and can be used on bike paths, as well as the road. Also, the structural design is better.

I tried one a couple of years ago & liked it. I think they are good value for money, though I would have trouble justifying one at the moment.

I'm afraid it's Norwegian, rather than British, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The pod looks like it could get really warm in sunny weather.

Not that that's often an issue in the UK, but it's currently glorious blue sky outside (you can tell because it's a working day)/.

No doubt tomorrow will be cloudy in the morning (solar eclipse) and the weekend will be wet.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Vorpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 9:37amThis one is a little dearer https://www.podbike.com/products/podbike/
But it is legally a bike (e assist from 250 W motor limited to 25 kph), and can be used on bike paths, as well as the road. Also, the structural design is better.

I tried one a couple of years ago & liked it. I think they are good value for money, though I would have trouble justifying one at the moment.
The phd thesis behind it seems an interesting read (although, at 215 pages, a long one that I've only skimmed so far). 90kg unladen weight isn't going to help hill climbing, though, unless the 250W e-drive is capable of serious overloading ;) I await review of a production model 'with interest'.
Vorpal wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 9:37amI'm afraid it's Norwegian, rather than British, though.
Substance vs only Style, IMHO, so no need to apologise :)
Last edited by squeaker on 9 Jun 2021, 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:47am The pod looks like it could get really warm in sunny weather.
The phd thesis covers this, but I've not examined his calculations in detail, other than to observe that cooling fans are involved.
"42"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

squeaker wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:52am 90kg unladen weight isn't going to help hill climbing, though, unless the 250W e-drive is capable of serious overloading ;)
I did a quick fag packet calculation & figure that the motor is more than enough to make up for the extra weight for the vast majority of cicumstances. I guess if it is hilly, you'd want the extra batteries, and being a recumbent, it will likely be slower up hill, and faster down.
squeaker wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:55am
[XAP]Bob wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:47am The pod looks like it could get really warm in sunny weather.
The phd thesis covers this, but I've not examined his calculations in detail, other than to observe that cooling fans are involved.
It was a warm, sunny day when I tried one, and with the top closed, it was only a little warmer than with it open. I don't think I'd want to ride one across Death Valley, but I would think it would be fine for most summer conditions in Northern Europe. For other climates, you can buy an extra blower for it (80 l/s), there is a plan to introduce a 'power blower', and the canopy is removable.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Would be great if these were tested like the scooters, has anyone seen the Sinclair new model?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I think Velomobiles in general are quite ugly lumps but that one is particularly unattractive.I suppose they have their fans but not for me I'm afraid.
Ditto recumbents,very strange looking things.I've tried a recumbent trike and that sort of made sense and was quite pleasant to 'ride' once used to the really low position.
Takes all sorts I suppose!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Strange looking - that would be the rover safety bicycle…

A marginal improvement on the high wheel, but still modelled on a horse.