(n-1)

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

(n-1)

Post by UpWrong »

What to do if one of your machines is not getting the use it deserves? Time to move it on? That decision can be held back by knowing the cost of replacement should you want it again. I have an AZUB trike and folding bike (Origami) which are not getting much use. The trike was my commuter of choice but I have migrated to my Stratus XP for that. The Origami was for putting in the back of the car for riding away from home. I’ve found I can quite easily get my Paseo in the car which is a quicker and more comfortable bike. The thought to sell comes now because I am more proficient with the RANS and the Nazca than I used to be, hence they have become my machines of choice.

Prices have gone up so much that I don’t want to sell the trike or the Origami if I am going to change my mind again. The cost of acquiring another trike could be painful and Origamis are rare. The space would be useful for something electric though, or another attempt at a “fast” recumbent. Might make sense to move the trike on since it’s probably the easiest to sell and delay a decision on the Origami. If I can get the Mrs back into cycling, throwing the Origami and her bike into the back of the car to find quiet roads and trails make sense.
Psamathe

Re: (n-1)

Post by Psamathe »

It's an impossible choice.

I have a sailing dinghy sitting on the driveway (a Laser) great fun to sail but not been used for several years. Trouble is I know that if, at nearly 65 years, I sell it I will never buy one if I decide (or get well enough) to want to sail it again. So selling it becomes very difficult "just in case".

Unrelated but I also find sometimes daft things can take on emotional significance. Maybe 6 years ago I sold my OM-1 and OM-4 (trade-in for a DSLR). Film was not something I'd want to start again and they would have just sat in a cupboard taking space forever. But I had travelled to some amazing places with them and somehow they'd become emotionally attached to the experiences and it was difficult seeing them go (which sounds weird).

Ian
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

My issue tends to be that if I sell a bike (e.g. Cargo trike) I tend to end up looking at a low enough price that I'm not sure it's worth it. I will soon be in a similar dilemma with the Speedmachine - I'm not convinced it has a niche (or just a very narrow one) between the trike and my commuter. But with the SPM it doesn't take up that much space and it's value as a space bike is probably greater than the money I would get from selling it. But yes, if it doesn't get used ...

If you haven't ridden it for a year, it's normally a good sign.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

I have a five year rule. If something hasn’t been used meaningfully in 5 years it gets moved on. It has been painful with some things but no regrets over time. This gives enough time for things to make themselves useful again if they are going to stay, and not succumb to selling stuff based on a passing phase in my life.

The only expensive thing that I violated the rule for in recent years was the Cruzbike which I knew I wasn’t going to keep no matter what. So that probably doesn’t help because I broke my own rule with a recumbent bike.... which is exactly what you are considering selling :) Hmmm.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

A two year rule is probably sensible, but I am starting to itch to try something new and would need the space. Funny thing is, I keep walking away from trikes, selling one and then buying another after a break. I'm not sure this time though.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Well, we just need to start some sort of swap club.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Another thought on this, I suffer from a catch-22: I don't want to sell a bike until I am confident that I have replaced it with something better, but I need to sell the bike first to fund n+1.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Very true. But I have reached my comfortable storage capacity so I think it will need to be sell first.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Last year we sold three and a half trikes.

This year, access to the New Forest became much easier, our favourite place to ride, so we are searching around for trikes again. With all the, is it a good one? If it's only done 1000 miles, why is all the running gear replaced? How far do we have to drive to collect? It's not quite the model we want but it's better than nothing dilemmas going on again. Add in a 25 week waiting list at ICE and the regrets of selling add up a lot.

Had we not had the change of circumstances though I'd be happy with the Grasshopper I brought to replace my trike. We just can't forsee the future and sometimes get it wrong.