"Fast" bike options

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: "Fast" bike options

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Have fun.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

It might be that the delivery charge includes all customs and taxes. The shipping method is"UPS Worldwide Expedited SM". It would explain the eye-watering charge. I really ought to find out in advance.

EDIT: UPS Website says "Door to door service with in-house customs clearance included". Hmm, they might handle the clearance but I guess I will get the bill for it.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

When I ordered my Cruzbike frameset from the states, the final cost to me was somewhere around 35% on top of the total charge paid to Cruzbike including delivery. You basically get skimmed every step of the way.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

UpWrong wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:20am I had second thoughts and sent a query to Bacchetta about a carbon Basso. No reply from them either.
I contacted Bacchetta last week with a sales enquiry too and heard nothing back. I’ve just seen that the company has been sold to a recumbent dealer in LA, so that’s no doubt why! The impact of COVID is given as the reason.

Hopefully delivery of the Lightning frameset will all go smoothly - I’ll be interested to hear how it goes, as well as your experiences of the bike once you have it :)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

nobrakes wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 7:11pm When I ordered my Cruzbike frameset from the states, the final cost to me was somewhere around 35% on top of the total charge paid to Cruzbike including delivery. You basically get skimmed every step of the way.
On reflection, that sounds like you paid too much. Duties on bike parts is 4%. Sounds like you got charged the 14% duty for a complete bike (with of course the 20% for VAT compounded on top of that).
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

AM7 wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 9:57am
UpWrong wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:20am I had second thoughts and sent a query to Bacchetta about a carbon Basso. No reply from them either.
I contacted Bacchetta last week with a sales enquiry too and heard nothing back. I’ve just seen that the company has been sold to a recumbent dealer in LA, so that’s no doubt why! The impact of COVID is given as the reason.

Hopefully delivery of the Lightning frameset will all go smoothly - I’ll be interested to hear how it goes, as well as your experiences of the bike once you have it :)
Yes, I saw that yesterday too. Quite a surprise, I guess they got squeezed too much by the problems with parts supplies.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

I think it was about 5 weeks from ordering till they started building my Lightning P38. Maybe a week to build and then about 10 days shipping. But this was pre pandemic. Customs will be on top. Least it was when I did it.

What colour frame did you go for?
Did you order a seat bag? I really think the seat bag is great and they give good hiviz from rear.
Did you order the pre bent brake levers to follow the bars?
Did you ask for a derailleur light braze on to mount a light?

Oh and when you fit the seat foam. The thicker portion goes to the front.

Welcome to the P38 club.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Blondie wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 9:03pm I think it was about 5 weeks from ordering till they started building my Lightning P38. Maybe a week to build and then about 10 days shipping. But this was pre pandemic. Customs will be on top. Least it was when I did it.

What colour frame did you go for?
Did you order a seat bag? I really think the seat bag is great and they give good hiviz from rear.
Did you order the pre bent brake levers to follow the bars?
Did you ask for a derailleur light brazae on to mount a light?

Oh and when you fit the seat foam. The thicker portion goes to the front.

Welcome to the P38 club.
I've gone with the metallic blue. I like the green but wanted a stronger colour for visibility. The black carbon forks match nicely with a metallic blue frame.
Yes I ordered the bright orange seat bag, thanks for the tip, and a kickstand. I used to shun kickstands, excess weight and all that but they are very handy when you want to quickly park the bike to duck behind some hedgerow.
I couldn't order the bent brake levers on-line, I'll pick up on them as soon as I get into a build dialogue.
The light braze on, I'm not entirely sure what kind of thing you mean. Is this for a dynamo light?
I must check with them if the delivery charge includes duties paid or not. I would be delighted if it did.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

The braze on allows you to mount an accessory mount. Yes I have a Dynamo light fitted but you could equally fit a battery light. It puts the light ahead of your legs so the light isn’t affected and casting shadows as your legs turn, which is likely if mounted on bars. Hopefully you can see how it looks mounted on my photos below. You’ll see I have a backup be seen light on the stem below the bars.

I have a kick stand. It’s great and allows for quick stops at pubs and village shops whilst those on road bikes look for somewhere to park their bikes. Plus for taking photos of your bike 😀

Last edited by Blondie on 23 Jun 2021, 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Thanks for posting the photos. I see how that works. I'm looking foward to joining the club :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I'm a happy man. I got a reply about the delivery charge to say it included duties and insurance :D . That explains why it was so eye watering.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That’s a relief.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

So my P-38 is up and running. My last bike? Think again! I've just become aware that the Freestyle is available in 700/20 configuration with adjusted headtube angle. Also the Pelso apparently. Hmmm, tempted.
Campag

Post by Campag »

I have a Pelso with 20" / 26" setup, light, comfortable and (with a stronger rider) could be quite fast.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Campag wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 3:12pm I have a Pelso with 20" / 26" setup, light, comfortable and (with a stronger rider) could be quite fast.
Do you know if they modified the headtube angle, or whether they are just using a fork with very little rake? The Metabikes Metaphysic did the latter which made it impossible to change the fork without compromising the handling. I installed another 20" fork with normal rake and experienced a speed wobble/shimmy.