How much play is too much? ICE rear swing arm?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Trikeyohreilly

How much play is too much? ICE rear swing arm?

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Hi.

Just brought my first ICE trike that has rear suspension. Only had rigid rear ends before.

I really pleased with how it works but I'm fairly sure I have some play in it. The manual says if you notice any significant amount of play the bearings can be easily replaced.

I think it's moving 1 to 2mm if I move the rack side to side while feeling the pivot like you might to test a headset.

Is that too much? Does anyone know if ICE still do bearings for a 2007/8 trike? I'm hoping they are still using the same type. Has anyone any experience of play in the swing arm pivot or replacing the bearings? Hopefully it's normal.

Thank you.
[XAP]Bob

Re: How much play is too much? ICE rear swing arm?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They still use the same bearings, but it is the rear end or the rack that is moving?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

That's great news. Thanks Bob. Really enjoying a bit of plushness at the rear.

Unfortunately it is at the pivot of the swing arm. I'm going to try and tighten the two pin clamp bolts today. Hopefully they are just a little loose and it solves it.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I bought new bearings for my QNT a couple of years ago. It’s supposed to be a fairly easy job, but before swapping them over I tried tightening up the clamp bolts.... two years later I still have the new bearings in their packaging and the swing arm is functioning fine! At least I am prepared for when I do need to replace them.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Interesting. Think I may be in the same/similar position, hopefully.

One of the "pivot pin clamp bolts" was obviously loose in comparison to the other. I have tightened it up but still have a little play. But down to 1mm max now.

I'm thinking that is under the stated "significant amount of play" so as long as it doesn't get worse and no one thinks I'll be damaging the pivot pin I'll continue to ride.

Great to know they are replaceable either way.

Thanks.