Importing a bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Gee

Importing a bent

Post by Gee »

Hi, I’m following upwrong’s thread with a lot of interest. I’m in a similar position and wanting a bike which will do pretty much the same thing for me. Unless one appears used that means pretty much importing from the states. Has anyone done that? Is it straightforward. I understand you’re going to have to pay duty and that’s just one of those things. Are there any hidden terrors to aware of though. Especially like to hear from people who have done it.
ClappedOut

Re: Importing a bent

Post by ClappedOut »

Ask about warranty, spares & repairs, so a LBS can help you.
Buy on a credit card as section 75 the credit card company jointly liable.
Make sure all shipping and handling covered as FedEx etc also try it on with customs handling fee percentage shock which I simply ask "Where's my contract with you and Bills of exchange 1882" they whine and moan, but you get the "on this occasion it has been cancelled"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I did it for my RANS frameset in 2015, but that's rather a long time ago. I rang RANS and paid by credit card. FedEx delivered then billed me for the customs charges and VAT about 5 weeks after delivery. They didn't break down the figure and the bill came as a final demand with the threat of taking me to court if I didn't pay within 10 days (or was it 7, can't remember). I don't know if a previous invooice went astray but since it was about what I was expecting I just paid it.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

You have to pay the customs, the service fee they have no contact with you

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/45-46/61 they try to create joinder for a service fee.

Tried this on with me an an Indian import, £42 fee from a private company, said see you in court as there is no contact to show a judge.

Goods still delivered after paying customs part
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I'm sorry, I didn't catch that
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

belgiangoth wrote: 24 May 2021, 4:26pm I'm sorry, I didn't catch that
A non contract unsolicited service fee
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Yes, it is fairly straight forward. You order, it ships, it hits this country. You’ll either get a letter asking for payment of import fees / duties before it’ll be released for you. Else logistics company will pay on your behalf, deliver, then ask you to cover the import fees and duties they’ve paid.

A lot of stuff comes in via Parcel force depot in Coventry. In which case they’ll ask for payment, you’ll go online, pay, and select a delivery date for your import. Go to hmrc to see examples and workout what you expect fees to be. Challenge them (Parcelforce or other importer) if they seem too high.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

With Lightning Bikes, I ordered on-line and the price was inclusive of delivery, insurance, customs and VAT. The frameset was dispatched on Friday from their place in California and arrived on my doorstep around 10 a.m Monday. It can't get any easier than that. I guess the headaches would come if there was a need to return it.
PH

Post by PH »

Missed this first time around, so it may be too late to be any use to the OP - Import duty from the US for complete cycles is 14% and 4.7% for cycle parts. At least that was the case when I last did so three years ago. Depending on the costs, it's sometimes possible to make a saving from sourcing some parts in the UK, or having it supplied in two packages of parts.