A day ride in Kent on the Paseo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

A day ride in Kent on the Paseo

Post by UpWrong »

I rode an interesting 35 miles around the hilly Kent/Sussex border on Sunday. I was on the Paseo with a tailbag, my mate was on a quality “RoughStuff” style upright with a single pannier. I felt dreadfully slow on the climbs but maybe I’m being too hard on myself. It was described as a moderate ride in the book, not easy. Also it was quiet lanes with very broken surfaces at times. It’s tough when you are doing 4-5 mph in 1st or 2nd gear uphill and you have to push that bit harder to get over bumps and through potholes repeatedly. Gearing is about 18.5"-87”. I had to get off and push on 3 occasions although the bottom gear was very usable (32T front, 42T rear, 26” wheel). I was able to restart in first gear after stopping for a breather. There were lots of oast houses, Elizabethan buildings and rivers and streams.

We did some off-road bridleway riding to get to a wild swimming spot on the Medway. The Paseo handled this quite well even with its fixed fork. I guess the Maxxis BMX tyre helped.

Anyhow if you want a nice ride in Kent, park in Edenbridge town car park and head for Hever Castle and Chiddingstone Village for great coffee and cake. The Edenbridge car park is free with free luxury toilets, better than most hotels'.
yostumpy

Re: A day ride in Kent on the Paseo

Post by yostumpy »

If I'd have known you were coming up, I'd have joined you, I live in N.Kent. Glad you had a nice day.