"gunner" bars

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

"gunner" bars

Post by belgiangoth »

Anyone tried them? They are basically bar ends fitted to narrow hamster bars. You fit brakes and shifters to the bar ends and ride holding on to those.
http://synthetictransport.com/barends/index.html

I do wonder whether they wouldn't be more ergonomic anyway, and it could solve some bar/knee interface issues. I wonder to what extent this could be bodged together just using some bar ends.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: "gunner" bars

Post by [XAP]Bob »

When I had the rapto I used M5 thumb lever brakes, they were excellent, no wild curves in the brake cable:

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/M5_ ... ke_System/

Had a twist grip for the "rear" derailleur and a schlumpf HSD up front.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

I rode my m5 with diy gunner bars using bar ends very close in to the stem. It was faster but control was compromised. I took them off after a couple of months. Better to have a controllable bike.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I was thinking that you could rotate them so as to allow you a more neutral wrist position on the bars - which you may not be able to do with other bars as you tilt towards your knees OR have to go wider than your legs.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Yes, you can do that, but you might have some cable management issues if the bars are not horizontal. With horizontal bars the cables go nicely down the tiller. The bar ends are also nicely placed to stab you in the throat if you have a violent negative acceleration!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The other thing this reminds me of....

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Quiet you, that's reaaaaaly nice