Must pay more attention

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
nobrakes

Must pay more attention

Post by nobrakes »

Cleaning up the wheels on my m5 today and I realised that the rear which is rim braked has worn down to the point they there is no sign of any wear indicator left at all on the rim. Makes me shudder when I think about some of the speeds you get up to on this bike. Must pay more attention.

Looks like I got me a wheel to rebuild.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Must pay more attention

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I started to feel a bump half way round a loop today - thought something had stuck onto my left wheel.

Turned out that the carcass had started to show, and the tyre was rather bulging :shock:
Dumped a load of air, rode home on slightly lower air pressure and ordered replacements.

Yep - I can see daylight through the gaps in the carcass, but it held up to ~6 miles getting home.

The pic still on the wheel is *after* I’d dumped probably 1/3rd to 1/2 the air in order to reduce strain on the tyre and get home.

Fitted some Trykers (as the only spares I had available other than marathon racers), so we’ll see what difference that change in tyre (and pressure) makes.
Attachments
33FC0432-4726-41E7-8F24-A39B68BF53E9.jpeg
26F91E6A-5509-49E6-84CF-B3201984B1BA.jpeg
EA170CEF-7A7B-44D3-9230-96ED583A5CEE.jpeg
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 10 Jul 2021, 4:08pm, edited 3 times in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Re: Must pay more attention

Post by UpWrong »

The RANS has been a bit rattly recently. Got it out to ride to work on Wednesday and noticed the right leg of the rack was no longer attached to the frame. Ooops. Had to find a short M5 bolt and washer to fix it.