Slime inner tubes

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
ONETAL

Slime inner tubes

Post by ONETAL »

Anybody useing Slime inner tubes, would you recermend them?. Thinking of puting them on the wet weather trike.
Jdsk

Re: Slime inner tubes

Post by Jdsk »

Some discussion here:
viewtopic.php?p=1578003#p1578003

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Might be a good thread to record DIY solutions ( :lol: ) in. I tried PVA glue in my daughter's wheelbarrow. Probably didn't put enough in but it did cut the frequency of topping up the air by half. There was also some advice on the Raleigh restoration thread. Can't find the solution at the moment.
Krashper wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 10:19pm Thanks guys :))

In the last post I forgot to mention the pedals. So as you might remember from the initial photos, the pedals were completely toast. The pedals I'm installing are a modern releigh equivalent sold as replacements for choppers/grifters and other vintage bikes. They cost £15, they are non-adjustable so will probably develop slop over time. I thought about drilling a hole in the caps for drainage and easy oiling but I haven't done it yet. One of the advantages that I can see over the original pedals is that the blocks are fixed into position and won't spin around causing your foot to slide off. The blocks are hard plastic so won't wear out like the rubber blocks.

On Friday, my homebrew tyre sealant was put to its first test since I started using it a few months back. I run it in my beater/commuter bike and apart from a successful test I did with board pins when first fitted, it hasn't saved my butt yet... till last friday. It worked very well, just gave a short hiss and sealed instantly. Upon inspection, it was a pretty nasty hole, looks like it was done by a nail, or screw so I'm happy to report that it's a reliable juice recipe :))
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Currently running in the rear wheels of both my ICE Sprint and WAW velomobile. Both have Marathon Supreme tyres, so maybe not the best test for Slime? Valve sticking has occurred on the Sprint, but still useable after some fiddling, although I probably wouldn't bother fitting them again due to the valve sticking. Maybe better in a lightweight MTB tyre where thorns are a problem?
"42"
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

Thanks for all for the input. Don't think I'll bother with slime, how about concrete that should do the trick.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

ONETAL wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 2:51pm Don't think I'll bother with slime, how about concrete that should do the trick.
You mean Marathon Plus ? :roll: :lol:
"42"
Krashper

Post by Krashper »

Perhaps I can help, taken from the 1957 Raleigh Restoration thread:
I'm using homebrew, this formula is basically the WSS formula but slightly modified. I use it in my commuter and it hasn't failed me yet:

- 1/3 liquid latex
- 1/3 household ammonia (10%)
- 1/6 water
- 1/6 glycerine
- sawdust filler

I used glycerine or aka glycerol instead of anti-freeze. It has the same properties and there was a time when it was used as anti-freeze in cars before propylene-glycol and ethylene-glycol became the standard. I used it because that's what I had at hand but regular anti-freeze is what most people use. The added benefit of glycerine is that it's goopy and makes the final brew less watery. It also retains moisture and drastically reduces evaporation rate meaning your brew doesn't dry out in the wheel, it also takes longer to cure after sealing a hole as a downside.

I first stuff 2 generous table spoons of sawdust into the inner tubes. It doesn't really want to go in easily so I put a silicone kitchen funnel over the valve stem and stuff it in with a tooth pick or something like that. Then I inject 185g of the sealant with a syringe. It has a tendency to separate in the bottle so I keep a glass marble inside and mix the brew well before use. I never mix the filler with the sealant because it clogs up the syringe. Some people use glitter and cornmeal with good results.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Late to the party: I used to run slime in my tyres on my upright - adds lots of weight and not great at puncture protection imo. I went Marathon+ which was as heavy and better at preventing punctures, but rides like brick.
I think tubeless would be a much better solution.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I thought I'd mention that a 1/2 litre bottle of slime is heavily discounted at the moment at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-Unisexs- ... B006GQ41DY
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Cafelatex claims to be usable in Tubes h

ttps://www.effettomariposa.eu/collections/tubeless
NUKe

Post by ONETAL »

I'm trying a set of Schwalbe CX Comps (2 20'' 700c) out instead of the slime tubes. So far I'm impressed with them, for a cheap set of tyres they ride nicely and behave themselves on wet roads. Will have to see how they stand up in the snow and icy weather before I would recommend them for winter use but in the rain and wet roads I would.
climo

Post by climo »

tried slime but the valves just glued up.