Recumbent Chain

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
steve6854

Recumbent Chain

Post by steve6854 »

I have now completed over 1000 miles on my StreetMachine GTE, so I now have truly bent legs. And I love it, gone through the why am I doing this stage and now I get it. Brilliant!

I was pondered where 'bent riders get their chains from? Given that the cycle world only supplies standard length chains. Where do' bent riders go? Do you buy multiple chains and join them? Or am I missing an excellent resource for all things 'bent?
Jdsk

Re: Recumbent Chain

Post by Jdsk »

steve6854 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 4:23pmDo you buy multiple chains and join them?
Yes.

There was a recent thread about buying chain in bulk... but it was about a lifetime's...

Jonathan
n0ct0

Post by n0ct0 »

Bought 3 chains and joined them with power links on my Speedmachine.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

steve6854 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 4:23pm ....
I was pondered where 'bent riders get their chains from? Given that the cycle world only supplies standard length chains. Where do' bent riders go? Do you buy multiple chains and join them? Or am I missing an excellent resource for all things 'bent?
When I had a 'bent (many years ago), there was an old joke....
Qu - How long is the chain on that bike ? Ans - about 3 times as long as an upright.
Qu - How long does your chain last ? Ans - about 3 times as long as an upright's chain.

It made some sense.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Nigel wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 8:09pm When I had a 'bent (many years ago), there was an old joke....
Qu - How long is the chain on that bike ? Ans - about 3 times as long as an upright.
Qu - How long does your chain last ? Ans - about 3 times as long as an upright's chain.
No joke, that's absolutely correct in my experience. Buying chains with 'snap-on' links makes the whole job very simple. I wont start another 'what type of chain?' thread as it's been done to death (just buy KMC chains :D )
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

steve6854 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 4:23pm Or am I missing an excellent resource for all things 'bent?
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114314.0

Pre Brexit mind you. :roll:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Yes, you just splice multiple chains together.

Because you're spreading the wear they do last longer, and also because road crunge thrown up by the front wheel doesn't go straight on to the chainwheel IME they last longer by way of staying cleaner too.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Was talking to a bike workshop owner about this the other day. I said that I had sometimes considered blowing a load of cash on one of the rolls of bulk chain they sell for bike shops. He said he had never heard of any bike shop bothering to invest in one -especially as these days, there is such a range of different gauges, from single speed all the way up to 11 and 12 speed. Although I run 8/9 speed set ups at the moment, there is always the thought that I might change to 1x11, or even some other combination, if I happen to spot a bargain ‘gruppo’ somewhere.

So yes, I just buy multiple chains. My long wheelbase bent swallows two chains, but oddly, my short wheelbase one demands three! (Less direct chain lines and a bigger gear range).

When joining chains and adjusting the lengths do bear in mind that some of the joining link makes are not designed for repeated use. Also while it’s fine to use a chain breaking tool to shorten them, modern peaned rivet chains do not allow rejoining sections of chain by pushing the rivet back in. It’s probably OK for a get you home repair of a broken chain, but will fail in normal service (I know this because!).

Threading chain into a recumbent like the Speedmachine with its chain tubes can be an absolute pig. I get round this by using little bits of soft wire to immobilise the old chain so it doesn’t all spill out as soon as you break it. Then I use wire or an old chain link to connect the old chain to the new, and carefully wind the old chain off pulling the new one on. Again wire to immobilise the ends of the new chain while you wrestle the ends together and connect it. One of those little pliers for opening and closing links saves a lot of struggle.

Oh - and when threading up chain on a bent with lots of chain tubes be careful you don’t get a hidden twist inside one of the chain tubes. A Möbius bicycle chain can cause some very odd symptoms in the derailleur!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

recumbentpanda wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 6:21pm Oh - and when threading up chain on a bent with lots of chain tubes be careful you don’t get a hidden twist inside one of the chain tubes. A Möbius bicycle chain can cause some very odd symptoms in the derailleur!
I now use a quick link to show if there's a twist or not.
The plate on the half that stays on the new chain is always on the inside.
If I don't use the old chain to pull the new chain through then I still put it on the start of the new chain as a visual guide.
I find that easier than using a bit of tape/thread around an outside plate as a visual guide.

Luck ....... :D
AM7

Post by AM7 »

What are people's views on mixing different chains?

I'm contemplating a move to 10 speed on one of my 'bents. I've all the drivetrain components for this except the chain. I do however have one unused Shimano 10 speed chain in the garage, but it's an old model that's no longer made. Will mixing it with two different chains be okay, or is it a definite no-no that will have a significantly adverse effect on shifting?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AM7 wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 12:50pm What are people's views on mixing different chains?

I'm contemplating a move to 10 speed on one of my 'bents. I've all the drivetrain components for this except the chain. I do however have one unused Shimano 10 speed chain in the garage, but it's an old model that's no longer made. Will mixing it with two different chains be okay, or is it a definite no-no that will have a significantly adverse effect on shifting?
I'd find it hard to do... but if the joins looked OK and moved freely then I'd guess that it will probably work fine.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 29 Sep 2021, 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 12:59pm I'd find hard to do... but if the joins looked OK and moved freely then I'd guess that it will probably work fine.

Jonathan
Cheers.

I’d be joining the chains with quick links, as I’ve always done, so I’d imagine the joins would be okay?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AM7 wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 3:20pm
Jdsk wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 12:59pm I'd find hard to do... but if the joins looked OK and moved freely then I'd guess that it will probably work fine.
I’d be joining the chains with quick links, as I’ve always done, so I’d imagine the joins would be okay?
I expect so. I didn't mean that there would be any difficulty, only that I'd be irrationally reluctant.

: - )

Jonatha
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Fair enough :D

I was thinking any problems might arise from slightly different profiles of links from different chains.

Anyway I expect I should just try it. If there’s an issue. I’ll just need to buy a new third chain.