Borealis

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
dkmwt

Borealis

Post by dkmwt »

While I was at the CTC rally I found myself in the right place at the right time and got to ride (pilot) the Borealis in the BHPC parade. Chris said to me to take it out for a spin afterwards.

First impressions, FUN!!!

I didn't go far but I did find that on the flat it is easier to go fast, just pedal faster and it goes. On that Sunday as a lot of you will know it was very windy that day. I did find that it was very vulnerable in cross winds. This might be something that you'd get used to if you were piloting it all the time.

At first I did notice swing of the long nose. But I found that with my "S" when I first got it but now take no notice. I just wish that I'd taken my jumper off before I got in, it get's quite hot inside with no wind to cool you down.

I found that it grounded on the front end quite a lot on uneven road surfaces and dips in the tarmac. Over a while this may cause holes but it may also be eliminated in production models by having a slightly higher underside to the nose. Sound wise it did magnify the bumps and was quite noisy, again something that you might well get used to.

I didn't get to do any fast cornering so I asked Neil about it. He said "You can lean in it but not as far as a normal trike therefore we tent to be a bit more careful on fast corners". As the York Racecourse is flat I didn't get to try it up or down hill. :(

If I had a garage to store it in and £5000 to spare I'd have one. (I'd have to buy a QnT as well as it's not made to fit the old "S") I think due to the hills I'd need an electrical assist in Plymouth.

I have put one of the pictures that Neil took of me in it on my facebook profile. When one of my friends saw it she said with the intent of taking the mick "is that the SRI version of your bike". :lol: She didn't know how right she was.

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, it's my first ever review on something.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
byegad

Post by byegad »

Thanks for the write up. Jealousy mode on overload!
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I did put a shorter version in the "helmets on recumbents" page but there were no replies to it for a few days so I thought I'd better make it a new post.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
byegad

Post by byegad »

Thanks Donald, Geoff
CW

Post by CW »

I recently visited the ICE factory whilst on holiday and Neil kindly allowed me to ride in the Borealis. I just took it around the industrial estate. As Donald mentioned, its fun, but even on this rainy day it was hot inside it. Also my shoulders rubbed against the inside edge of the opening,
I`m not designed to fit in it.
If it was affordable to me I don`t know whether I would buy one. It would also mean a replacement frame for my Q.
For the originality of it, it would be a definate yes, but for everyday riding I`m not so sure.
Still a lovely looking machine
Chris
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Sounds like a big no for me as well with my Essex-boy wide shoulders!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)