Shoes

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Shoes

Post by belgiangoth »

I am considering getting a new pair of shoes (due to dramatic destruction of my old pair). Normally I would want something waterproof, but I will only ride the bents in good weather so am quite open to the concept of vents.
Must be MTB SPD compatible and must have a decent width to the toe. Other than that cheaper is gooder and any thoughts suggestions and things to think about that don't apply for DFs.
(I won't use these shoes on my DF as it is not clipless).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Shoes

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have just bought, and am quite happy with so far, some boardman ones from Halfords. I got the cheaper (£55?) ones with a fibreglass sole rather than carbon.
Not waterproof, vents in the bottom of the shoes help really keep cool feet in the summer, could almost certainly have overshoes etc if it’s wet.

Not very walkable, but since I can’t walk anyway that wasn’t an issue for me.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm very pleased with my Shimano MT 34s.

They're fine for wearing off the bike. The cleat is well recessed so I'm not anxious about damaging surfaces.

Usual warning about Shimano's sizing.

Jonathan

0072517_shimano_mt34_spd_mtb_shoe.jpeg
n0ct0

Post by n0ct0 »

Or you could always choose...... :D
Attachments
IMG_5005.jpeg
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

n0ct0 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:50am Or you could always choose...... :D
+1 for sandals: should be some end of season bargains? Hot = no socks (and weird suntan), cold = woolly socks: sorted. Current Shimano are possibly too flexible, Exustar noticeable stiffer.
"42"
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Just got a pair of Shimano MT3s , seem pretty comfortable and ok for walking.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

I have pair of the Exustar sandals and they are my preferred shoe in the warmer months. They are a nice wide fit so easily the most comfortable of the shoes I have. For colder months I have a pair of Shimano MT 32L and in an attempt to go faster I also have a pair of Botranger RXL road shoes. The latter are very tight fitting and slightly stiffer than the Shimano's but as the cleats aren't recessed they are only worn for short fast local rides.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date,
Jdsk wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 9:48pm I'm very pleased with my Shimano MT 34s.

They're fine for wearing off the bike. The cleat is well recessed so I'm not anxious about damaging surfaces.

Usual warning about Shimano's sizing.

0072517_shimano_mt34_spd_mtb_shoe.jpeg
And I want to buy some new SPD MTB shoes, and MT 34 aren't available any more!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jonathan
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Must work on my recumbentist image. I have a pair of walking sandals somewhere that I keep threatening to try out while riding. No clip ons for me as I don't ride a calf threatening tadpole trike. Just add a rakish cord cap and fluff up the beard and voila! Instant weirdy beardy recumbentist.
DGG1941

Post by DGG1941 »

I have a pair of Shimano SD5 sandals for sale, size 43, black if you are interested. Couple of years old with low mileage - I moved to Catalyst pedals a while ago and now use walking sandals in the summer.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

a.twiddler wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 8:03pm
Must work on my recumbentist image. I have a pair of walking sandals somewhere that I keep threatening to try out while riding. No clip ons for me as I don't ride a calf threatening tadpole trike. Just add a rakish cord cap and fluff up the beard and voila! Instant weirdy beardy recumbentist.
I once had a black cord cap, but no Recumbent at the time ! Have often thought of Sandals ( with SPuDs ), whilst I do have a beard ,it's kept reasonably trim ,never scruffy and not overlong, I was the mucshtanc tho', if only i could grow the soup strainer long enough to plait it
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!