The old DF vs recumbent chestnut

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
n0ct0

The old DF vs recumbent chestnut

Post by n0ct0 »

I’ve been back on the DFs for a while, mainly offroad, as the trike is too wide and low for most trails around here. So I’ve been riding some road loops on my “do everything” bike, and it looked like it was a lot faster on the hilly loops. Decided to take my “fast” DF out on one of the longer loops, and it was indeed a lot faster on the hilly part of the loop. This all changed on the flat, however, as there was a steady headwind. By the end of the ride it was pretty even. Horses for courses I say.

On the comfort front it’s no contest. Recumbent every time. Plus everyone is a lot friendlier on the recumbent, and cars give me a wide berth. One of my lights fell of when I was out on the DF and several cyclists went past without a word as I searched for the bits on the grass verge (found all but one battery 😑). Same scenario on the recumbent and pretty much everyone asks “are you alright mate?”

Everyone assumes that you’re special on a recumbent. Which, of course, we are. 🙂
Stradageek

Re: The old DF vs recumbent chestnut

Post by Stradageek »

I still use a DF for short shopping trips (better maneuverability) but everything else is on a recumbent. I guess I'd use a DF for any serious off-roading but as I don't generally off-road it's not an issue - when the terrain is that challenging I prefer walking and admiring the scenery :)

I have both two and three wheeled recumbents and I agree that speed, comfort and safety are the BIG plusses. Once fully fit the 'slow on hills' myth is just that, a myth.

I still continually marvel at the insignificance of headwinds - never again will I know that 'cycling into a brick wall' feeling when battling a headwind on a DF :D
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

If I could, I'd use the trike all the time. But the DF is much more lockable for trips to town and visibility much better for commuting on small roads with lots of cars parked all over the place.
I have no idea about speed as I don't measure it.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
rjb

Post by rjb »

excuse my ignorance but is a DF a diamond frame? :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

rjb wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 4:01pm excuse my ignorance but is a DF a diamond frame? :?
Mostly, but could be one of these...

Maybe we should be using 'safety' or 'upwrong' to describe bicycles with a common Victorian frame / rider position?
(please don't take this seriously :roll: )
"42"
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

My fastest times up local uphills are between my recumbent and road bike. On a 5 min local hill today (so vo2 max territory) my fastest time is on my recumbent. I got within 22 seconds of it today standing up on my Brompton all the way. Heart rate peaked at 97% of max, I peaked at 96% of max on my recumbent effort.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

belgiangoth wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 3:07pm I have no idea about speed as I don't measure it.
A man after my own heart, neither do I know how fast I'm going but I do remember what a strong headwind used to feel like and I remember a comment from a racing cyclist who passed me on a steep ascent during the old 'Phil and Friends' ride, he said "That things bl***y fast downhill!"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I log it, and check my journey average after the fact - though I am generally more interested in the feel of the effort I am putting in.

I know from years of commuting that the actual speed can vary quite significantly with perceived effort though, and not always in the way I expected. Frequently used to think that a commute had felt hard only to find that I'd been several minutes faster than usual (i.e. it felt harder because I was pushing harder)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

When asked 'how far did you go?' I normally ask 'what's the time?' then calculate hours ridden x 16mph; close enough for me.

PS the 16mph is because I once followed a cyclist for many miles and when I eventually caught him I asked what average speed he was doing :D
n0ct0

Post by n0ct0 »

Went out on the trike for the first time in a couple of weeks. Comfort up 100%. Respect from car drivers up 1000%. Heart rate down 10% (yes, I track that too :D ), speed down about 10% compared to my Arkose. Of course I’ve realised it’s a bit like a group test of a 2CV, a Caterham, and a Mondeo. :shock: