Mango

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Mango

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Well, after a pig of a time getting a final replacement part I think my new toy is in a state to go on the road. Had a brief shakedown this evening, followed by an evening reworking the front gear shift completely (I need to buy some new gear cables certainly).

Hopefully it will perform well on it's first "real" journey tomorrow - after which I shall report back.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 4 Sep 2021, 6:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Re: New toy

Post by UpWrong »

???? Electric ????
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Photos or it never happened!
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Photos will come soon, just been out fettling the bottom bracket location and changing the tyres. Worked nicely, so am quite happy.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Got to be a velomobile :wink:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

UpWrong wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 2:34pm Got to be a velomobile :wink:
I'd been trying to guess but had not thought of that (which is an oversight given I was reading Auntie Helen's Blog yesterday where she's organised a velomobile meet!).

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 2:34pm Got to be a velomobile :wink:
Been a long time coming…
image.jpg

Hence the rvlr questions elsewhere
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Wow!

What is it? And is it human power only?

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It’s a Mango Sport (Although it’s coloured as the red edition I’m not sure it is).

Purely human power, averaged 27mph along one of the newly surfaced roads, pesky cars and traffic lights holding me up.
(Had the manhole cover on, not the race hood)

Lighting will be powered from a USB battery bank, with daylight running, rvlr, and indicators to the front, sidelights, brake lights, chasing “pedals”, and indicators to the rear.
I’ll have a pair of LEDs visible from the cockpit to tell me that the indicators are working etc. The fact that they’ll be at the end of the signal chain means that the rest must be working for those to behave.

I’m tempted to go slight barmy with gearing, putting the Schlumpf HSD up front and the CS-RK3 in the middle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. Off to read all about it.

Have fun.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

David Hembrow is the place I’d start - three page article…

http://www.hembrow.eu/personal/sinnermango.html
hercule

Post by hercule »

I have lusted after one of those since reading about them on David Hembrows’s blog. Always seemed to me like a practical but sporty velo: maybe not as speedy as a Quest or DF but much more practical day to day. I’ll be reading eagerly to see how you get on.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Initial impressions are pretty good.

I have configured the brakes such that they hold the Velo still even on my drive (which is very much not flat), and that means I can brake quite effectively, even from significant speed on a downhill section, I think the balance is pretty good at the moment as well.

The intermediate drive is rather clever, giving a final gear ratio before the rear wheel, which completely negates all of the trouble with small wheels and sensible gearing. An 18t left handed freewheel on the rear wheel is fed from a sprocket bolted to a disk brake capable rear hub - but the sprocket on the hub can be changed, a 24t gives you a "virtual" 24/18*20 = 26.7" wheel from the point of view of the rest of your gearing.

The gearing I suggested above would therefore get 18 to 225 inches... It would also be much more tolerant of having stopped in an inappropriate gear (with two options for dropping whole ranges when stationary). It may be sensible therefore to reduce that sprocket - making it 18t (and therefore a 1:1 drive to the rear wheel) gives a more reasonable 12 to 153" (or sub 4mph to 47+mph whilst pedalling at my preferred cadence)

The real joy of that is that I can do the rear without any expenditure, I already have the hub hanging in the garage, although it is currently in a wheel.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 4:23pmI’m tempted to go slight barmy with gearing, putting the Schlumpf HSD up front and the CS-RK3 in the middle.
Nice 8)

What gearing does it have at the moment? An 18" low gear sounds 'high' to me: I'm more comfortable on steeper hills with 15" on my WAW. At the other end I find 120" adequate, but could understand a wish to go higher! The mid-drive crossover does give you lots of options, though.
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Re: Mango

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Conventional (largish) triple to 9 speed, then twenty-something to 18.

One of the advantages of going to the schlumpf would be that I could stay with just two shifters on the bars - and of course no derailing at the front just makes chain management easier, one fewer failure mode….

I’ll do some counting when I take the top off again to wire in the lights.