Non-Padded Cycling (Lycra Style) Shorts

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Psamathe

Non-Padded Cycling (Lycra Style) Shorts

Post by Psamathe »

(in UK)
I'm after some non-padded lycra style shorts. I'be been riding in my MTB Hummvee's but I don't like them for several reasons (minor but I'd rather something else).

So I'd prefer the padded lycra style but without any padding (must be uncomfortable on the moulded shaped seat). Searching around some have said Tri-shorts but they all seem to have padding (though described as "invisible" - is it really?). Some have said riding jodhpurs but they are all full length. Running shorts seem mainly baggy or have a lycra inner but with a baggy outer.

After something single layer (i.e. not an under garment/base layer needing some over/middle-layer.

(Even baggy shorts are difficult to find as many have a zipped back pocket which must end-up wearing the seat material - but I'm seeking lycra style).

Suggestions appreciated. Many thanks

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Re: Non-Padded Cycling (Lycra Style) Shorts

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rowing or running
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Try gym compression shorts but 1 or 2 sizes larger than normal.

OB
seldomseen

Post by seldomseen »

I just cut out the back half of the pad from some old bibs and they work great! Don't cut the whole pad out as i found a little in the front helped keep things in place! Have a trisuit too, which does have a much thinner pad.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I use lycra running shorts, or 3/4s if the weather is getting chilly, or indeed running tights - all do double duty - cycling, running. And kickbiking too!

A random sample:

https://www.runandbecome.com/lycra-running-shorts
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Many thanks. One thing from running and rowing shorts is that a lot seem to have a rear zip pocket (horizontal zip across the back) which I suspect would not be a good idea on the padded seat. One thing that surprised me is that there don't seem many online rowing supplies shops - maybe being from Norfolk (and having done a fair amount of kayaking on the Broads) means I have a distorted impression of the popularity of rowing.

Ian