Wildlife

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Psamathe

Wildlife

Post by Psamathe »

(Early days on my recumbent)
I'v heard it said by horse riders that wildlife is not so spooked by a rider on a horse (no idea why and I don't ride horses). But today on my bent (which is a moderately low, moderately laid-back style), young roe deer grazing looked-up as I approached, kept watching me as I got closer. I passed within a couple of meters and it just stood there watching me, quite happy, not spooked or anything.

And I had my front flashing light going, wearing a bright red polo shirt.

Had I been a walker or on my 2-wheels it would certainly have run off when I was first noticed or some distance away.

Made me wonder if it is a similar effect to the claims (some) horse riders make about wildlife or if it was just confused by something it had never come across before (but most wildlife runs away from things they've not come across as better to run away needlessly than not run away and die).

(We have a lot of deer round here and they tend to be chased off as they do significant damage to gardens)

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Re: Wildlife

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Not sure about the wildlife issue but horses seem more wary of recumbents in my experience.
More like a creeping large feline perhaps?

Saying something out loud and giving time usually prevents full "spooking".

Just a small point.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 12:45pm Not sure about the wildlife issue but horses seem more wary of recumbents in my experience.
More like a creeping large feline perhaps?

Saying something out loud and giving time usually prevents full "spooking".
SNAP!

I once had a nasty moment on the KingCycle... accompanied horse coming towards us on a narrow lane. It was suddenly very frightened, and I looked for an escape route and couldn't see one. I stood up astride, and it immediately settled.

Jonathan
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

I can echo the comments about horses being wary / scared but recumbents. I do wonder if it is how we pedal. With our feet out front does it look like an aggressive posture to the horse? Image
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Taking all precautions, I have several times passed horses riding my Baccheta, with no problems.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Horses being spooked is an interesting aspect with recumbents as when I restarted cycling I often wore a Hi-Vis waistcoat left open and flapping. One pony/buggy couple I know and met warned me the flapping was spoking their horses (not badly). I wonder if a high vis flag flapping around risks spooking horses in the same way?

Ian
AM7

Post by AM7 »

I always warn horse riders that there’s an unusual bike passing, and give them a wide berth. Not had any particular problems with spooking the horses so far. I don’t have a flag though.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I’ve had some horses get completely spooked (and swiping sideways across the path on the far side of the road - frankly the rider did quite well to keep control) and others somewhat less bothered.

I can’t easily stand up any more, so talk to the rider; but mostly talk to the horse.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Saw a kingfisher last week, going alongside the Frome on the way, I think, to the Swan with 2 Necks... the Frome's famous for them. I say "saw" but actually it was more of the traditional electric blue flash. :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 3:36pm I’ve had some horses get completely spooked (and swiping sideways across the path on the far side of the road - frankly the rider did quite well to keep control) and others somewhat less bothered.

I can’t easily stand up any more, so talk to the rider; but mostly talk to the horse.
On 2-wheels approaching from behind I've found the horse detects me long before the rider and long before I can really call out. And I can normally tell if the horse is nervous as you can see it's bum slightly move out into the road a bit (almost a "twitch").

I do call out when I get close enough but that is normally to rider as horse spotted me some time before.

Ian
seldomseen

Post by seldomseen »

Living near Newmarket I regularly pass horses, and they are for sure more easily spooked by my recumbent compared to my upright. I know ride a metabikes which seems to be less of a 'spooker' than when i rode a low baron. Also found not wearing my lion costume on the bike helped.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

seldomseen wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 1:40am Also found not wearing my lion costume on the bike helped.
:mrgreen:

That would be a sight to see...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Since starting this thread (couple of years ago) I'm now very sure that on a low recumbent wildlife doesn't see you as a human/threat (at least not to the same degree as on an upright). I doo have a reasonably bright flashing lights (front and back) but don't wear hi-viz.

Buzzards are really skittish. Sometimes one in garden on tree 60 m away and I open back door and s/he's immediately off. Yesterday out riding rural lane and buzzard flew across in front of me 2m off the ground 4m in front, then landed on the verge next to me. I could have reached out and touched it (I didn't).

Ian
hercule

Post by hercule »

They were checking you out to see if they could eat you!

I had a weird experience running up a deserted dirt road in Canada many years ago… noticed there was first one vulture circling above me and a mile or so further up the hill there was a few more. I’m certain that they thought I was going to expire, or else fall victim to whoever had been peppering the road signs with bullets… 😳
skeltrike

Post by skeltrike »

Interesting reading others experiences, all seemingly different.

I pass horses frequently, always as wide and slow as possible making the rider aware I am there.

Seeing varied forms of wildlife, wildflowers, birds and animals is one of the many great things about my particular brand of 'low-and-slow' recumbent cycling. Having just started doing weekly club rides with our upright friends going a bit quicker I have noticed how much less of the journey I take in- mainly because I am knackered trying to keep up!