Riding in the rain

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Riding in the rain

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Was out this morning, and didn't trust the weather so put the race hood on the velo.

I was right not to trust the weather, it was hammering it down on the way home - was nice to be basically dry.
I must learn to exhale downwards though - the visor mists up if I blow directly at it - then I even got a couple of small drops of rain (small because they were drops that bounced) on my glasses when I cracked the visor up. Maybe I should carry a small cloth to wipe the screen clear?

I don't expect this level of smug to go away any time soon...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Re: Riding in the rain

Post by Jdsk »

Are you using rain repellent on the transparent bits?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 7:09pm ....
I must learn to exhale downwards though - the visor mists up if I blow directly at it - then I even got a couple of small drops of rain (small because they were drops that bounced) on my glasses when I cracked the visor up. Maybe I should carry a small cloth to wipe the screen clear?
When I was scuba diving washing up liquid was said to work. I always used spit just before each dive (not really suitable for canopy) so I can't recommend washing-up liquid from personal experience and these days a lot has a lot of additives (no idea how that would affect things). There are commercial compounds available but only tried once in a swimming pool learning to roll kayak (when a supposedly brief time in water is not much of a test).

(I have absolutely no experience with velomobile canopies)

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 7:11pm Are you using rain repellent on the transparent bits?

Jonathan
Nope, didn’t seem to need it that much. Keeping my glasses dry was so much of a benefit that I could look through the visor (which is a motorbike helmet visor, so anything suitable for those should work).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 7:42pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 7:11pm Are you using rain repellent on the transparent bits?
Nope, didn’t seem to need it that much. Keeping my glasses dry was so much of a benefit that I could look through the visor (which is a motorbike helmet visor, so anything suitable for those should work).
If you want to test it you can apply the stuff to eg the left but not right half and compare.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think that migh just drive me mad…
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 7:42pm

Jonathan
if you want a product go to a motorcycle shop. and use something like Rain X. Another option from the motorcycle world is a fog shield which attaches to the inside of the visor but they might not do anything big enough. But most motorcyclist use washing up liquid. Clean the Screen, smear with washing up liquid allow to dry then Polish off. I still use this technique for my cycling glasses with inserts ie the outer lens
NUKe

Post by Lodge »

I'm not only a cyclist (both upright and recumbent) but also a motorcyclist. Indeed, washing up liquid polished on the inside of the motorcycle visor works OK and is much cheaper than proprietary products. It doesn't last forever note, but washes/runs off if there's too much condensation.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Went out last night on the mtb in the pouring rain just for fun and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

About 40 miles with a shopping stop half way for bike stuff in sports direct and Halfords. Fierce hunger on me for the last 5 miles right anough.

Second half in the pitch dark but because it was so mild I didn't mind the dark and heavy rain at all.

Got soaked at the start -- dried out a bit with the wind and totally wringing wet last 5 miles. A warm shower and dry clothes by 8.30pm was a great feeling, better than after the gym when I was younger and in training, then a few home made chicken wraps with a milky coffee.

I'm I mad to still enjoy this sort of thing at nearly 60?
I am here. Where are you?
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Mr Sheen furniture polish is good. On motorcycle helmet visors it helps the water to bead into droplets which roll off with the breeze. I imagine on a rain hood vibration or gravity would have the same effect if applied inside or outside.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

a.twiddler wrote: 8 Oct 2022, 2:16pm Mr Sheen furniture polish is good. On motorcycle helmet visors it helps the water to bead into droplets which roll off with the breeze. I imagine on a rain hood vibration or gravity would have the same effect if applied inside or outside.

I'm a pledge man myself
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

Cowsham wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 3:53pm Went out last night on the mtb in the pouring rain just for fun and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

About 40 miles with a shopping stop half way for bike stuff in sports direct and Halfords. Fierce hunger on me for the last 5 miles right anough.

Second half in the pitch dark but because it was so mild I didn't mind the dark and heavy rain at all.

Got soaked at the start -- dried out a bit with the wind and totally wringing wet last 5 miles. A warm shower and dry clothes by 8.30pm was a great feeling, better than after the gym when I was younger and in training, then a few home made chicken wraps with a milky coffee.

I'm I mad to still enjoy this sort of thing at nearly 60?
No , I don't think so, BUT I am sure it helps !
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Anyone have any views on wearing proper cycle ponchos / rain capes?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 9:30am Anyone have any views on wearing proper cycle ponchos / rain capes?
Last month's discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=153284

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 9:34am
Cowsham wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 9:30am Anyone have any views on wearing proper cycle ponchos / rain capes?
Last month's discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=153284

Jonathan
Thanks Jon