VTX Luggage

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Biker Blunt

VTX Luggage

Post by Biker Blunt »

Hi, I have recently purchased a ICE VTX with a carbon seat and I am struggling to find any suitable luggage. I’ve messaged ICE and they only recommend panniers. I’m only looking to carry a couple of essentials for 1/2 day trips. Can anyone advise please. Also what type of rear light do people recommend to use, I need one to fit to the headrest.
Thank you in advance
Tigerbiten

Re: VTX Luggage

Post by Tigerbiten »

For things like just a puncture repair kit, I'd look at something like a top tube bag.
It will sit on the main tube just in front of the cruciform.
You may need add an extra strap to stop it rotating.

Luck .......... :D
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

^that would be the obvious choice, or you could spend twice as much for something recumbent specific (like a Fastback frame bag).
Or, if you want more capacity. something from Radical
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: luggage. On my Sprint X Tour I use the Radical Banana Racer bags (room for lock, punk, tubes, tools, sweater, gloves, etc.).https://www.radicaldesign.com/which-bag-fits/ice-vtx BUT (at least on the Sprint X Tour) you also need a bit of metal bolted behind the seat to keep then out of the chain. ICE sell the bit of metal and also sell the Radical Bags (but only black).

They are good and tough but not 100% waterproof (apparently). Radical sell waterproof liners but those have to come from Radical. I've not bothered using my liners yet as I'm only on local day rides where weather forecast good enough.

Edit: Interestingly this guy on his youtube post did some flag drag tests and says he thought one explanation for his unexpected results was that his Radical bags were reducing drag by streamlining! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAz7TKXoZY.

Edit: Same video blog as above uses Radical Solo Racer - video of fitting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osRO0PxiBKs - which also shows the bit of metal I was talking about. Note I use Banana Racer NOT solo racer so have no experience of Solo Racer bag.

Edit: Also, Radical bags are not cheap.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 17 Oct 2021, 9:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: Rear light: ICE sell a metal ring thing that fits to the headrest called a Neck rest light mount (£17 - see ICE catalogue from their web site https://www.icetrikes.co/buy/price-lists). This increases the diameter of the rod supporting the headrest to be seat post diameter. BUT a couple of issues: they are not very deep in that you get a bit of seat post diam but not a lot so you might need 2. Also, your seat is even more horizontal than mine so the angle of the pseudo seat-post will be "wrong" for lights. What I ended-up doing was getting 2 Cateye clamp things (e.g. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-sp ... -diameter/ available in a range of sizes), bolting 2 back to back, one clamp round the seat neck rest thing (as above), the other holding a short lngth of vertical tube and you can then adjust the angle of the bit of tube to correct for the laid-back seat.

If that explanation does not make sense but might be appropriate, let me know and I'll take a photo and post it.

Ian
hercule

Post by hercule »

For more space I have a pair of Radical seat bags… excellent and they fit my Nazca Fuego as well. For daily rides I have a waterproof bag strapped to the non-drive chainstay that holds pump, tubes, tools etc and for more immediate use I have a bum bag that I wear (phone, keys, emergency food). You do need the spacer bars for the seat bags as they will dangle into the chain otherwise.

Lights: I have Portland Design mudguard light on the rear mudguard, and a battery powered B+M Linetech rack light P-clipped to the back of the headrest. And to top it all I have a super bright LED cable tied to the back of my helmet.

Putting a rear rack on the VTX is almost sacrilegious but it does solve the problem of light mounting and luggage carrying… I’ve never used one but I don’t think it would take much in the way of a load. Otherwise I!d consider one of the light mounts designed for low rider bosses , fit it to either the mudguard or rear disc bosses and attach a light to that.
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

This is my method of mounting lights to the seat, a bit of overflow pipe I've done it to both of my XTR's, it works well. Drill the holes for the head rest so it fits tightly on the rails,
IMG_20211018_110455.jpg
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

This was the set-up on my old ICE 'S'. I've never got on with headrests, but use the mounting bracket to carry 2 short lengths of Al rod bulked up with tape and bits of rubber hose to allow mounting of a Smart Superflash (or 2) rear light.
The rods also retained the Radial Banana S bags - no need for a spacer bracket, as the 'S' was civilised enough to use a power side chain tube 8)
HTH
radical2.jpg
radical1.jpg
"42"