Old HPV SMGT - getting out of storage, ready for use!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
pjclinch

Re: Old HPV SMGT - getting out of storage, ready for use!

Post by pjclinch »

I think the way to do it would be have them factory fitted as an optional extra for a few quid extra. But fitting them to everything would involve a lot of unnecessary waste (time, effort and material)
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting for a moment that they should be fitted to everything, but the original point of manufacture is surely the time to make stuff "ready." So, the hooks which fit the luggage rack are designed to fit different gauges of rod or tubing, and what I've described as the plastic hardware on the back is made to be mega-adjustable. ie The basic set-up is as versatile as poss. Now, part of that readiness could include the holes for the pocket etc suitably plugged.

I've had mine a long time but IIRC, when I bought them they were some sort of Mark II, probably with a different name, but they were an improvement on the original system. My days of buying bike luggage are gone as is most of what I did buy. My roll-top Ortliebs survive as does my memory of butchering one to fit the pocket.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've never had the issue of wet mixing with dry gear in panniers. We simply organise things to avoid. With touring trips with recumbent we have 4 rollers, two front rollers two pluses at 35litres each and probably drybags on the rack tops. Plenty of opportunities to separate wet and dry. Usually tents in its bag strapped to pannier rack at the top. There's a pannier for wet kit like waterproofs. And so on.

There's plenty of organisational opportunities with a family with ortliebs even when fully loaded camping. I think mostly pockets are a solution that's not needed. Bottle cage is in certain situations like the SMGTs.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: Luggage: I don't know the SMGT but on my tadpole I got some radical seat bags with the bent and I like them a lot. I got the Radical Banana Racer https://www.radicaldesign.com/banana-racer with the intent they would be equivalent to my front rollers for touring (i.e. instead of front and back rollers for touring I'd use a pair of back rollers and banana racer); whilst for day trips they are fine on their own (tools, flask, sweater, etc.). I also got the liners for 110% waterproof for touring (maybe overkill?)

They have a good section on which bags are compatible with which recumbents https://www.radicaldesign.com/which-bag-fits.

They are excellent quality but not cheap and Radical are set-up to sell into UK (i.e. they've setup all the necessary VAT stuff). That said I've only had them less than a year on local rides so they have not had that much chance to fail but appear excellent quality and I'd expect them to last very well.

Ian
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Roos has some Radicals for her Nazca Fiero Tour...

They're very good in many ways: you can put long things in (like tent poles) very easily, they're big, they're aero, long zips make loading and access easy, they make the bike look even better... but there are downsides too. They're not really easy on/off and carry around like a pair of Orts, and you use both or none. When we've been on tour they stay on the bike the whole time and we just unload inner bags. Unlike the Orts we only use them on tour.

Pete.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I love the setup I have. Back rollers on rear rack and back roller pro classics on low rider rack. The big pluses between the wheels under the seat really work well. Makes it very wide and I suppose you could theoretically take a fast turn and catch it, doubt I would go so fast or lean that much but theoretically possible. Kind of a flat top or the side that you can bungy a coat or other clothing onto without needing to get up or open a bag up. The front pockets are handy too.

I think 4 ortliebs are a good option. I looked at radical banana bags in the largest size but iirc they partly fit to the rear rack and I think interferes with any rear pannier set. Not sure you can use panniers too. At 70 litres for a pair of large sized ones there's not enough capacity for our needs. I have a total pannier capacity of 110 litres. Being the main carrier of our kit for cycle camping tours the extra capacity helps a lot.

Would a second set of pluses on the rear rack be too much load? That's 140 litres!!!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 9:13pm
Would a second set of pluses on the rear rack be too much load? That's 140 litres!!!
For the bike, probably not (mine isn't nicknamed the Panzerfiets for nothing).
But those hills you were mentioning a spot of bother with earlier...
KM2

Post by KM2 »

The old streetmachine I had, had another rack under the seat , low down, good centre of gravity.
I never thought that the normal cantilever rack would be able to carry much weight.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think the hills were more that I didn't know how to efficiently ride a recumbent and the boom was too short. The last was a compromise to use it on tour. My knees hurt on the hills probably because of that.

I'm also not very good at spinning my way up hills. On an upright I tend to go with lower cadence and higher gear for hills. That's not efficient for recumbent bikes.

If I get the boom length, gears right and start spinning I think hills will eventually not be a big deal. Also need my 'bent legs back.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Both rear and mid rack have a weight limit of 25kg. Not that high. My road bike rear rack has a 35kg limit.

Then again there is the total weight limit of the bike. Apparently the gt model manual mentions 120kg for rider and kit. There was a comment about 140kg which I did not really understand.

I'm 87kg so 33kg or 53kg depending on 120 or 140kg max load is correct I don't think that's much, 33kg.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The racks have a stated limit of 25 Kg made by a stereotypically German engineering firm... I'd trust them for a lot more, personally.

As for lower cadence/higher oomph and "that's not efficient for recumbent bikes"... isn't it?
I suspect that, much like upwrongs, it's largely down to the rider. No, you can't stand up, but on the other hand you can push against the seat. If you get your power out better at lower cadences then I'd give that a try: I spin up stuff on the 'bent, but I do the same on other bikes.

Pete.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Make your own underseat cradle for a couple of dry bags.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Since HPV don't see the need for keeping information on the old gt model I found a users manual on one of those manual archive sites. The manual gives potential cage locations as front of derailleur stub, one either side of the seat below it and behind your shoulders. That's 5 potential cage locations.

That makes me wonder whether you could put cages at the higher seat position then use the lower one to rig a side bag setup? Not too much weight but 750ml of water plus cage plus bottle is probably getting on to 1900 to 2000 grams split 950 to 1000g per side. That is good enough for valuables and light essentials/ emergency kit. FAK for bike and you perhaps?

Obviously you're doubling the weight if you put bottles at the higher cage too. Not sure if they say the seat only takes 2 bottles bolted to the seat and 4 would strain it top much.

Just an idea. I've seen recumbent with two large bar bags rigged up either side of the seat attached to the frame and wondered if that's an option with smgt.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

pjclinch wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 1:58pm As for lower cadence/higher oomph and "that's not efficient for recumbent bikes"... isn't it?
I suspect that, much like upwrongs, it's largely down to the rider. No, you can't stand up, but on the other hand you can push against the seat. If you get your power out better at lower cadences then I'd give that a try: I spin up stuff on the 'bent, but I do the same on other bikes.

Pete.
The main advantage of "getting out of the saddle" on hills is that it slightly changes how each muscle is used, so helps to ward off fatigue at higher effort.
You cannot do that on a recumbent, so the more effort you use, the faster you fatigue.

One thing to think about is that spinning doesn't mean you need to keep an ultra high cadence.
On the flat I'll comfortably spin along at around 80rpm with a light pedal pressure.
On hills I need to drop my power output to stop me overheating.
So I'll drop my cadence to around 60 rpm.
But I don't alter how much pressure I put on the peddles as I slow my cadence down.
So I now quite happily spin up hills at 60 rpm.

Luck .......... :D
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A question of PJClinch or anyone with or who had a Streetmachine.

If you wanted better than a Streetmachine, what would you get?

I was reading the kinetic website, recumbent and other bikes shop in Glasgow. The guy who owns it described the Streetmachine as the best production recumbent in the world, period! Perhaps the answer might be I wouldn't because there isn't better.

Personally I reckon for faster there's certainly many better. For touring perhaps there isn't. I really do not know. I've only had the Streetmachine and ridden only that.