Pictures of your recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by PDQ Mobile »

"Like a rocket!!!!"
That is just what I had expected.
Thanks for reply and enjoy your lovely machine.
It's definitely a cut cut above the rest!
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

A "Goodbye" to my first recumbent, from 2009. Delivered to a new owner just outside Edinburgh today - it brings good memories: meeting up for Rides with Cookie, Daveyboy, Brian and others, learning to build a wheel (the 26" Big Apple'd rear was one I made myself :D , with the original 700c relegated for occasional use), early-morning rides pre-dawn all blinged up, and several thousand miles around East Anglia. I couldn't resist a quick ride up and down their street before handing it over. Ah, happy days.......
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

After a posting on one of the other topics on this board I’ve realised that I’ve yet to post any photos of our ICE tandem and my Challenge Seiran.

The tandem is currently OOA after one of the steering linkage joints snapped right at the end on last years Tandem Club National Rally in Northumberland. It’s not a difficult repair for a competent welder, I’ve just not gotten round to it yet. Once I’ve finished our current round of house renovations I focus on the ICE tandem and give her a full refit and a re-spray.

I’ve had the Seiran for a couple of years now but having done a couple of long trips away at sea during that period I’ve not ridden it as much as I’d have liked to. The photos show it in touring mode on North Uist and on a day ride to Loch Goil.

Imagetmp_9346-Photo0196~2-1809646093 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20170401_134846293 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr

Image20170303_084249 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

Finally got this beastie back on the road. Low, fast and awesome fun. It's got a bit of history behind it. It belongs to an old friend of mine, Bob Smith, who I've sadly lost contact with. It was the prototype and testbed for the Redmount Roller, a hand built production recumbent trike designed and built in King's Lynn by Bob and the late Mike Allen. It's been in my shed gathering dust for years but all it needed was a clean up, lube and a new back tyre. I've also fitted a mudguard and rack.

It really needs a new seat mesh as the stitching's going . I've tried the one one my wife's ICE Adventure and it fits well (actually better than the original) but unsurprisingly she wanted it back! If anyone knows there whereabouts of an older-style (without the side cushion bits) ICE seat mesh for a reasonable price I have a home for it.

Also, if anyone knows Bob's whereabouts let him know his trike is in good hands!
Attachments
Redmount 2.jpg
Redmount 1.jpg
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Define a reasonable price - I'd quite like to get a new seat (I can ask when I'm at ICE next week to see if they have any old stock as well)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Rob Archer

Re: RE: Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by Rob Archer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Define a reasonable price - I'd quite like to get a new seat (I can ask when I'm at ICE next week to see if they have any old stock as well)

I was looking at £20-30 although that's probably a bit optimistic!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my GT-S7275R using hovercraft full of eels.
Marc

Post by Marc »

My new ride:

By chance I've got a used ICE Vortex cruciform last Tuesday and after a deep dive into the used parts bin, build this ICE Vortex/Sprint 26 mongrel.
It handles very nicely with the 24" front wheels! I'm still tinkering a bit with the set-up. There is a new set of 700c rims on order, for instance.

btw, if anybody got a used ICE Q, QNT or Sprint cruciform for sale, I might be interested...
Marc

Post by Marc »

Several small updates later (head rest, new lights, new 19t Ginkgo idler, new IGUS rod ends, Avid BB7 park brake), I went on a little wheel building spree on the rainy weekend and she got a new set of 26" wheels, shod with 50-559 Kojak, yesterday.

The seat has to come a wee bit higher, though. 'Laid back' doesn't begin to describe the feeling when riding with the current seat angle... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Marc on 6 Jun 2017, 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

How much does the additional wheel height affect:
- Steering geometry (scrub in corners)
- Braking geometry (I presume you now get brake steer)
- Stability (bump steer?)
- Steering lock (wheels conflicting with the seat at a lower turning angle?)
- Speed (:D)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Marc

Post by Marc »

[XAP]Bob wrote:How much does the additional wheel height affect:
- Steering geometry (scrub in corners)
- Braking geometry (I presume you now get brake steer)
- Stability (bump steer?)
- Steering lock (wheels conflicting with the seat at a lower turning angle?)
- Speed (:D)

I didn't notice much scrub around corners, actually.

The 26" wheels doesn't affect the steering behavior noticably more than the 24" front wheels of my other Sprint. I've described some of it here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15204&start=390#p1041556

When going in a straight line, brake steer is very similar to a stock Sprint/Vortex with 20" front wheels. Neglegible to simply not detectable.

When braking while cornering, the outer wheel pushes the trike into the corner slightly (exactly opposite to 20" wheels). It gets progessivly stronger, the further you steer into the corner. So, if you really push the trike at speed around corners and lift the inside wheel, braking the outside wheel actually helps cornering. This 'behavior change' was slightly irritating at first, but is a 'feature' I've very quickly learn to appeciate (I like to go fast around corners).

No bump steer. The steering gets a tiny bit more 'heavy' and self centering is more pronounced. It is still a very quick handling trike, though.

The wheels doesn't conflict with the seat, albeit even 24" wheels come too close to the stock Vortex handlebar.
The 'new' handlebar is a mix of the ICE handlebar middle part, a cut down Rans B-41 handlebar (for the 'handles') and a longer 120mm head set stem to move the handle bar further back (the stock ICE stem is 90mm, the Vortex/VTX stem about 110mm). The longer stem also provides enough space for the bigger idler.

Turning circle is about 5m. Maybe 5,2m. Similar to a stock Sprint and smaller than the Vortex (ICE states 5-5,4m for the Sprint and 7,4m for the Vortex).

Speed:
I don't know, yet. I was a bit powered out from a 80+km ride I did on an other trike, befor mounting the the big wheels on this one and took it for a short spin. The currently mounted Kojaks are not exactly speed demons, though: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... kojak-2017
I've used faster 24" Schwalbe Shredda Evo at the front and a fast Marathon Almotion at the rear for a while and the trike is quick. It could be way faster with a better motor, though... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Marc on 19 Aug 2018, 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Latest additions to the N=N+1 stable...

The Hase Kettwiesel we got last September and has been in use all winter (just over 5000 km). The Sprint is just on the road now and was supplied in partial kit form direct from ICE, then completed with
    Hope Crankset
    Hope X2 disc brakes and B&M lights transplanted from another bike (only 6000 km)
    Rohloff from my old touring bike (31000 km but polished up nicely; 34:16 for climbing, 15.2-80 gear inches)
    Alexrims TD17 32H rear rim instead of the 36H normally supplied by ICE (to go with the old Rohloff)
    Tubus rack scavenged from our Hase Pino after we electrified it
What's nice is that my wife and I can go out together with her on the Hase Kettwiesel and me on the Sprint. She leaves me on the hills (it has a Shimano motor) but we are about the same on the flat. I tend pull ahead downhill but that's just a confidence thing. The Sprint goes round corners rather better than the Kett (it's quite a bit lower) but the Kett is far better off road as it has suspension, two wheel drive and, in the winter, knobblies. Think Land Rover versus Mazda MX-5. Nice to have the choice. The Kett is brilliant in the winter snow (didn't use the car to get to work at all last winter) but maintenance is a real chore with 4 chains to deal with, especially the short one between Rohloff and differential which only lasted 2000 km until upgraded to KMC X1. The Sprint should be much more straightforward for majority use.

Now just need to sell my car as it hardly ever gets used any more. Should just about pay for the Sprint and Kett.

26-Sep-2017 update - car sold! Now there's little excuse, or get-out, for not cycling to work by cycle. I'd have to go via my wife's workplace and finish early enough to pick her up again at the end of the day.

Trikes_at_Kembs.jpg
Last edited by Lodge on 26 Sep 2017, 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedy7777

Post by speedy7777 »

This ones called a white swan. It came with a sturmey archer 8 speed hub gear which is great for learning with. Its a bit on the heavy side but my bent legs are forming at an accelerated rate. Recumbents are the future. :D
Attachments
IMG_0204.JPG
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

speedy7777 wrote:This ones called a white swan. It came with a sturmey archer 8 speed hub gear which is great for learning with. Its a bit on the heavy side but my bent legs are forming at an accelerated rate. Recumbents are the future. :D

:D
I like the minimalism.
I particularly like the direct chain line on the drive run.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Curious as to where the white chain tubes came from...... or are they just run-of-the-mill black ones, bleached ? :?
speedy7777

Post by speedy7777 »

The white tubes are some sort of plumbing pipe thats made in belgium. Its got plastic outer layer, aluminium middle layer, and a clear plastic inner layer.
This means they can be bent to form curves easily. Scince the photo ive trimmed them down to the bare minimum length.